Internet Applescript?

Reaction score
I was just wondering if it was possible to write a applescript that when you log in it auto connects you to the internet

i have wrote a script where it connects you to the internet i just need it to automate itself as to when i log in it autoruns

It's not essential but but the point of applescript is to make repetitive tasks a thing of the past.

also i have little or no experience of using applescript :eek:

Ric

Reaction score
Re: Internet Applescript ?

Danster said:
I was just wondering if it was possible to write a applescript that when you log in it auto connects you to the internet

i have wrote a script where it connects you to the internet i just need it to automate itself as to when i log in it autoruns

It's not essential but but the point of applescript is to make repetitive tasks a thing of the past.

also i have little or no experience of using applescript :eek:
Not exactly sure what you mean!

If I have it correct, you have written an Applescript that connects you to the internet, but I'm not sure what you want to do next: copy the applescript onto this board and I will have a look for you.

Can you possibly try and explain what it is you want to automate?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Sorry if i wasn't clear.

I want an the applescript to work as when i log in to my account it auto-connects to the internet so i don't have to click the connect to the internet everytime i log in.

Also is there a way to keep my internet connection active while my sister logs onto her account using fast user switching? As she just log's onto her account when i'm usually downloading summit :mad:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 835

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
...is there a way to keep my internet connection active while my sister logs onto her account using fast user switching? As she just log's onto her account when i'm usually downloading summit :mad:
Ahh Sisters,

As far as I am aware fast user switching should allow you to keep your internet connection alive.

It would be easier to diagnose the problem if you could give us a little more information?

What version of OSX are you currently running?

How do you connect to the internet? Using a modem, wireless, adsl etc.

If you are connecting to the internet via a dial-up modem then go to System Preferences-->Network, choose your connection, go to PPP, PPP options, and change the option to 'Disconnect when user logs out' is ticked, try un-ticking it. That should keep the connection alive when you switch users.

thanks

Ric

Reaction score
Ric said:
Ahh Sisters,

As far as I am aware fast user switching should allow you to keep your internet connection alive.

It would be easier to diagnose the problem if you could give us a little more information?

What version of OSX are you currently running?

How do you connect to the internet? Using a modem, wireless, adsl etc.

If you are connecting to the internet via a dial-up modem then go to System Preferences-->Network, choose your connection, go to PPP, PPP options, and change the option to 'Disconnect when user logs out' is ticked, try un-ticking it. That should keep the connection alive when you switch users.

thanks

Ric

Cheers for that, the box was unticked "disconnect when log out" :p

i have broadband 1mbps and i'm not sure what modem i have but it has a adsl under a green light

anyways i dont think applescript can help because you have to activate the script and that would ruin the whole point but then again i know next to nothing about.

i was just thinking of a way to use it :cool:

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
...anyways i dont think applescript can help because you have to activate the script and that would ruin the whole point but then again i know next to nothing about. i was just thinking of a way to use it :cool:

Do you currently have to start Internet connect everytime you want to connect to the Internet?

If you're on broadband, the Internet should be connected all the time, or do you turn the modem off when its not being used?

The applescript you wrote is fine, just compile it, (this will turn it into a mini application) and then in the system preferences user accounts , add this new app to run everytime you logon.

Does your sister's login allow her to connect ot the internet?

Ric

Reaction score
Ric said:
Do you currently have to start Internet connect everytime you want to connect to the Internet?

If you're on broadband, the Internet should be connected all the time, or do you turn the modem off when its not being used?

The applescript you wrote is fine, just compile it, (this will turn it into a mini application) and then in the system preferences user accounts , add this new app to run everytime you logon.

Does your sister's login allow her to connect ot the internet?

Ric

No I click on the menulet phone icon, then connect to the internet.
That's it really but I usually log out then back in a lot and have to do that all the time and would like something to do it for me and i was thinking applescript :confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
No I click on the menulet phone icon, then connect to the internet.
That's it really... :confused:

Right, we best start from scratch.

What modem/router do you have, make and model please?

Who set it up ? How is the modem connected to the Mac (USB, Ethernet).

Are there any other devices on your network ?

Let me have the above info and we can get this sorted out.

Because you are using Broadband, you should be connected to the internet all the time, if it is set up correctly. You should just open Safari or Mail etc., and voilla you are connected...

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ok

I have a speedtouch USB Modem (nothing else) and I'm on wanadoo broadband.

I set it up but I had problems because the package i got from wanadoo didn't work so i called em and they walked me through step by step on how to set it up using the ppp thingy.

I haven't a clue about what goes on in that network window :confused:

I do have a always on connection but when i shut down or restart the USB modem loses the connection and I have to click menulet phone icon/connect to internet when i boot the computer up again.

I think it's getting a bit confusing now for everyone

But it was just a thought that if there was a way for a program to automate that kinda of repetitive task for you. I know it's extreamly lazy :D but it was just a thought.

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
...But it was just a thought that if there was a way for a program to automate that kinda of repetitive task for you. I know it's extreamly lazy :D but it was just a thought.

Try either of these:-

1)To turn on or turn off automatic dial-up (PPP) Internet connections

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu/dock.
2. Click Network.
3. Choose your modem or other dial-up device from the Show pop-up menu.
Note: The Show menu is named "Configure" prior to Mac OS X 10.1.
4. Click the PPP tab.
5. Click PPP Options.
6. Click the checkbox to select or deselect the "Connect automatically when starting TCP/IP applications" option.
7. Click OK.
8. Click Save

I am not able to try this myself at present, no access to OSX till later...

But this should mean that you don't have to connect via the telephone menulet, all you would do is open safari or mail and the Mac will recognise that you are starting a TCP/IP connection and voilla...

2)Alternatively, use an Applescript, as previously discussed:

try either one of these
-----------------------
tell application "Internet Connect"
connect
end tell

----------------------
tell application "internet connect"
activate
connect
end tell
-----------------------
No access to OSX at the minute, so can't test. Once in script editor save each one as an Application (compile them), and put into the file into your login items in the system preferences. Then when you login you should automatically get connected to the internet.

Only try one of the above at a time.

Reaction score
Click the checkbox to select or deselect the "Connect automatically when starting TCP/IP applications" option.

I don't seem to have that option, but here's a pic of my ppp options

I thought about that applescript the other day but when the AS loads up it ask's you to click run then internet connect loads up then ask's you to connect.

much easier to just menulet/connect
:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    47.9 KB · Views: 556

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
I don't seem to have that option, but here's a pic of my ppp options...

Go back to that "Session Options Window"

and tick the box

"Connect automatically when needed"

Thats it

then press okay, and save/apply in the network preference.

Then restart.

Then open Safari without pressing any thing else, this should automatically connect you to the internet.

Let me know ?

Attachments

• Picture 5.pdf
    64.9 KB · Views: 454
Reaction score
LoL

Hahaha all that hassle and all I needed to do what tick that Box. *omfg*

:D

Thanks alot for your time & input it's very much obligied :)

Ask a Question