Intel MacBook Air 2020 - Catalina - Failed update....

Reaction score
Hi, I have a MacBook Air running Catalina. A security update install failed and I'm not able to login to the only user account. I have Filevault enabled, if I try to reset my user password using my Apple ID I am advised that "There are no users on this volume to recover" - I've tried to run disk first aid but I am not able to unlock the drive as again my usual user password isn't accepted despite it being correct. It's looking like I will need to wipe and install however if any one has any recommendations before I would be grateful.

Thanks

Reaction score
Have you tried to either boot with an External drive, or connect it to another Mac using Traget Disk Mode. to see if you can unlock the FileVault volume?

Reaction score
Have you tried to either boot with an External drive, or connect it to another Mac using Traget Disk Mode. to see if you can unlock the FileVault volume?

Yes I should have mentioned I tried a USB installer, could get to disk utility but nothing more without unlocking the volume. I haven’t tried target disk mode yet. If I hold alt I can either boot to update installer or usual install however can’t login as the password appears to be incorrect when it isn’t

Ask a Question