Installing Panther 10.3 on an iMac G5

Reaction score
I downloaded the the 1st cd only just to see if it would respond. i downloaded from the mac repository. so i put the cd in and held down the C key, the apple logo came up. with the cd still in if i just boot up i get the folder / the question mark then i think it has an icon that says something like mac os disk 1 then i get the apple logo. so before i left it for awhile with the apple logo. now the apple logo is there for a short time then i get the do not enter icon Ø, sort of like thid greek letter......does it want disk 2 or is there something wrong with disk 1. oh yeah i can't get the cd out again.

Reaction score
Did you use a Mac to create the CD from the file that you downloaded? I am not sure if you can burn a Mac image properly in Windows.

To get the CD out, hold down the left mouse button as you start up the Mac. Continue holding it down until the CD ejects.

Also just FYI, if you cant shut down the iMac normally, you can hold down the power button for 10 seconds to force a shutdown.

Reaction score
no did not use the mac to burn the install cd. i read on the net ( so it has to be true) :pthat i can re-name the toast file to iso. i tried the left mouse button deal. will try longer. how do i know if the OS is installing? is there a progress window or something? well the G5 did detect it was an install cd for a mac so .........

Reaction score
You can rename it to .iso, but I am not sure if you need to use Disk Utility on a Mac to burn the iso, or if it will work if burnt in Windows.

When you boot from disc 1, it should boot into a system where you will see the installer and Utilities. In Utilities there should be an app called Disk Utility. You need to make sure that the drive is formatted to HFS Extended Journalled and using the APM partition scheme.

Then you can run the installer, when it needs Disc 2, it will eject Disc 1 and prompt you for the next disc.

Another way to eject the CD would be to boot into Open Firmware. You do this by holding down the Command Option O F keys at boot. Just remember that on a Windows Keyboard they Map to a Mac keyboard as follows: Control (Windows) = Command (Mac) & Alt (Windows) = Option (Mac)

So you would be holding down the Control ALT O F keys

Once booted into Open Firmware you will see the command Prompt and just type in eject cd and the CD should eject.

After the CD is ejected you can type in shut-down and the Mac will turn off.

Reaction score
OK , I did the Windows logo key +ALT+O +F, at boot, got the firmware screen. I typed in eject cd and the cd ejected. The left mouse button at boot did not work. So another thought , When I insert the cd do I insert the cd with the label facing me and the media side facing away? This is a G5 iMac all-in-one , not a notebook/ laptop.
I looked through my stack of notebooks and I have a Mac notebook from around the era of the G5. will try and burn the cd with that is toast or the toast maker part of the Mac OS

Last edited:
Reaction score
apparently you have to buy Roxio toast no matter what you burn the image on, why would someone even do something like that use an image format that the majority of people have never heard of let alone have access to?

Reaction score
All you need to do is change the .toast to .iso, and then you can use either Disk Copy on Mac OS 10.0 through 10.2, or Disk Utility to burn the CD.

Here are the directions..

Mac OS X 10.0 through 10.2.8
1. Open Disk Copy. It’s in the Utilities folder (/Applications/Utilities).
2. From the File menu, choose Burn Image.​
3. A navigation dialog box appears. Locate and select the disk image file.
4. Click Burn.
5. When prompted, insert a blank disc into the disc drive.
6. Click Burn.​

Mac OS X 10.3 “Panther” or later
1. Open Disk Utility. It’s in the Utilities folder (/Applications/Utilities).
2. If the disk image you want to use doesn’t appear in the list, drag its icon to the Disk Utility window.
3. Select the disk image and click Burn.
4. Insert a blank CD or DVD into your computer’s disc drive and follow the prompts.​

As far as inserting the CD, The label goes towards the front of the iMac. (Towards you)

Ask a Question