Reinstalling Yosemite: how to copy the installer from a new Mac to an old one

Reaction score
My mid-2011 iMac running Yosemite died. But I had a spare older Mac (mid-2007) and a Time Machine backup so I thought I was OK... except when I restored from the backup, it turned out that Time Machine had not backed up either the operating system or any applications (though all my other files/folders etc were fine). So now I need to reinstall Yosemite onto it to get any sort of functionality at all.

I have a brand new iMac running Monterey, and I've downloaded the installer onto there. Now I need to copy it from there onto the old Mac, but because it's bigger than 4 GB, I can't copy it onto a FAT32 formatted memory stick. Is there any way that I can format a memory stick in such a way that I can copy the installer to it from my new Mac, and still be able to read it on the old one? Or is there a better way of getting it onto the old Mac that I haven't thought of (the old Mac will connect to the web, but without any browsers or an OS, what I can do when it gets there is rather limited).

Reaction score
My mid-2011 iMac running Yosemite died. But I had a spare older Mac (mid-2007) and a Time Machine backup so I thought I was OK... except when I restored from the backup, it turned out that Time Machine had not backed up either the operating system or any applications (though all my other files/folders etc were fine). So now I need to reinstall Yosemite onto it to get any sort of functionality at all.

I have a brand new iMac running Monterey, and I've downloaded the installer onto there. Now I need to copy it from there onto the old Mac, but because it's bigger than 4 GB, I can't copy it onto a FAT32 formatted memory stick. Is there any way that I can format a memory stick in such a way that I can copy the installer to it from my new Mac, and still be able to read it on the old one? Or is there a better way of getting it onto the old Mac that I haven't thought of (the old Mac will connect to the web, but without any browsers or an OS, what I can do when it gets there is rather limited).
Good start. You have a copy of the Yosemite installer. What you need is a large enough thumb drive (aka memory stick) to accommodate the installer file. These are very affordable nowadays. I suggest you get at least a 32-gig one in case you decide to create a bootable macOS installer drive. I suggest formatting it on the new Mac, using Disk Utility, HFS+ format. Then you can sneaker net between the old and the new Mac. Good luck.

In case it turns out that the installer file you have is somehow damaged, you can download older installer files here:

Don’t worry, I checked. Yosemite is available on this site.

Reaction score
Thanks Tony. The link you suggested is where I got the installer from so hopefully it should be OK, and I have a 32 GB memory stick ready to go so I'll try that format. And thanks for the Wikipedia idea too - took me a while to find the download link I used.

Ask a Question