Temporarily Unavailable when Reinstalling OS X Mavericks

Reaction score
I decided to wipe out everything and do a clean for my iMac (late 2011) to reinstall of Mavericks. I went through the process of reformatting the HD. I go into Reinstall OS X and move through the process of providing my Apple ID and pw. All looks fine and the I get the message “This item is temporarily unavailable”. I’ve tried this several time over the last couple of weeks. Any suggestion as to how I can reinstall Mavericks?

Would the following also be options:

Purchase Maverick from Apple to install?
Could install Yosemite via the disk that came with my new iMac?

Thanks,

sms1295

Reaction score
Hi,

Sounds like you will need to Install the original OS from DVD, then you'll be able to access the store to download Mavericks , I assume it's in your purchase list? Because if not and unless it is in your purchase history, it will always be unavailable.

Reaction score
I have an iMac that came with Mavericks which I thought I had registered under my Apple ID, but I don’t see it as a device. I’m looking to do a clean install, so I went to disk utilities and did the following:

Erased the HD in Mac OS Extended (journaled)

Booted back in Disk Utilities

Selected Reinstall OSX

Went through the screens including entering my Apple ID/pw

I then get the message “This item is temporarily unavailable”

I’ve seen sever post about people not getting by this message which I’ve tried. I’ve also tried the following:

Downloaded a copy of Yosemite from Cnet and tried created an install USB using TransMac. I was able to restore the image from the USB on the iMac. When I restarted, it appears something was loading and about half way through it stopped. I tried a few times and finally gave up.

I found a Mavericks Installer (~5 GB) file which I copied to my Windows PC and used TransMac to transfer to a USB drive. I’ve not gotten this to work either.

I would like to get any OS X installed on the iMac. Can someone provide me the instructions to do so?

Thanks,

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
boot up using the following keyboard command:

Option Command () R

this is Internet Recovery & will require an internet connection & will help you install the Mac OS version that originally came with your Mac.

About macOS Recovery

Reaction score
I gave the Internet Recovery option a try. All that happened was that Lion was available. I have decided to give up and purchases a recover disk for about $20.00. Hopefully this will get me back going. Thanks for replying.

Reaction score
I gave the Internet Recovery option a try. All that happened was that Lion was available. I have decided to give up and purchases a recover disk for about $20.00. Hopefully this will get me back going. Thanks for replying.

Ask a Question