SSD failure, can it be repaired without reinstalling the OS?

Reaction score
I have a problem with my internal SSD. I have the error: "First Aid found corruption that needs to be repaired. To repair the startup volume, run First Aid from Recovery. Click Done to continue."

The corruption makes it very difficult to get my computer to boot.

Can this be repaired without having to re-install the OS?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,
  • Which exact model Mac?
  • Is this the OEM Apple SSD or a third-party replacement?
  • Does it not startup in Recovery?
C

Reaction score
Hello,
  • Which exact model Mac?
  • Is this the OEM Apple SSD or a third-party replacement?
  • Does it not startup in Recovery?
C
it is a MacBook Pro
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2 GHz

It is a third party replacement SSD

The error occurs after a shutdown that freezes. Once that happens the computer won't boot properly, it either keeps playing the startup chime over and over again, or it won't play the chime and it gives lines on the screen with nothing else visible.

Even if I try to startup in recovery it won't work, neither safe mode. I have to keep doing it over and over again until I get a chime startup sound. Once I get the chime sound iI can start with an external drive, go into first aid and try to fix the problem. I also use the third party software 'Disk Warrior' though both attempts at fixing the problem does not fix the root cause and I always get "First Aid found corruption that needs to be repaired. To repair the startup volume, run First Aid from Recovery. Click Done to continue." showing in first aid.

Ask a Question