SOLVED Portable SSD does not accept files copied to it

Reaction score
Hi all,
I need help with a problem which stuns me. I have a Portable SSD 1TB external drive and a Mac Mini M1 with OS Big Sur 11.6.1. This setup used to function perfectly to store my photo files.
Some time ago I screwed up a copying procedure where I wanted to cancel the process. After that the SSD was irreparable with Disk Utility because it couldn't be dismounted. I couldn't switch off the SSD either for the same reason, it had to be force quit. After disconnecting the USB plug I could start afresh, but the last copied files didn't show up. When starting a fresh copy process from where it was left off, it went on for a while and suddenly it got stuck with an error message (see screenshot). This blockage did not happen at the same file being copied (no error in the file itself) but after a certain amount of MB copied, regardless of the content.
Claiming a faulty SSD the manufacturer exchanged it for a new one including a new connecting cable and now I am experiencing the same problems again. I can't even reformat the SSD with Disk Utility, so I am stuck (see next screenshot).
This behaviour only happens with this particular SSD, not with others I also use.
Has anybody a solution? Thanks!
Andy

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 22.04.11.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 22.04.11.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 8.22.05.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 8.22.05.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
Hi Cory,

yes, with Apple's help. Since the problem described occurred with a brand new exchanged SSD as well, I assumed, that it can not be a fault with the SSD, but most likely one with the Apple OS. It looked, as if the first error had left something in Apple's memory which then occurred again with another identical SSD under the same circumstances.

Essentially Apple's Customer Care told me, this assumption is very likely true and I can get rid of stored memory rubbish by creating a new admin user, then starting up as such in Safe Mode. This blocks everything deposited by other than Apple's basic software. Switching on the "faulty" SSD in this mode overcomes the "fault" (the deposited rubbish in memory) and the copying process now finishes without interruption. Finally I go back my original admin user and have a working SSD.

Never imagined such a possibility existed in the Apple Universe. If not, I 'd have to junk a 1TB SSD.

Ask a Question