installing after downloading help

Reaction score
after I download something a little page appears on my desktop that has .php at the end, when I click it it says something about the Finder not finding an app to read the file.
this happens with everything I download.
please help.

Reaction score
after I download something a little page appears on my desktop that has .php at the end, when I click it it says something about the Finder not finding an app to read the file.
this happens with everything I download.
please help.

Hello, what exactly are you trying to download? That .php sounds like some kind of a web thingamajig.

Reaction score
I'm sorry you're totally going to think I'm stupid but I don't know what you mean by "example link"
I'm really frustrated by macs, they're supposed to be easier but they're impossible, I'm sticking with microsoft.

my mac won't even recognize my ipod:mad:

SwampWitch

Reaction score
I believe Walrus666 is asking you to send him a web page link with an example of what you are trying to download. I hope you get it worked out. I've found that sometimes Macs are too intuitive; too simple.

Reaction score
this is exactly what us happening to me too. after i download a program when i try to install it i get a box that pops up saying
there is no default application specified to open the document it then gives me the option to cancel or choose an application to open the document.
when i click on choose application another box pops up with recommended applications to use to open the document. apple script and apple works
i clicked on applescript and another box pops up and says unable to read the dictionary of the application because it is not scriptable. i am so lost. any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
this is exactly what us happening to me too. after i download a program when i try to install it i get a box that pops up saying
there is no default application specified to open the document it then gives me the option to cancel or choose an application to open the document.
when i click on choose application another box pops up with recommended applications to use to open the document. apple script and apple works
i clicked on applescript and another box pops up and says unable to read the dictionary of the application because it is not scriptable. i am so lost. any help would be appreciated.

Hello, what is the extension (The letters after the period- For instance, Picture.jpg) of the file that you're trying to open?

Reaction score
well heres one i just tried googlenotifer_1.10.1dmg
some things like this gmail notifer i just dowloaded it it acutally worked i draged it to my app folder but when i click on it to open it it wont open. im ready to pick up this computer and throw it out the window! lol

Reaction score
well heres one i just tried googlenotifer_1.10.1dmg
some things like this gmail notifer i just dowloaded it it acutally worked i draged it to my app folder but when i click on it to open it it wont open. im ready to pick up this computer and throw it out the window! lol

You should be able to open a dmg on a Mac. If the dmg doesn't open automatically, double click it to open it. If there's an application in the dmg that you want to save, drag the aplication from the dmg's window to your applications folder, not the dmg. :)

Reaction score
i am double clicking it it wont open.
and the other programs wont install. thanks for the help. i think i might just give this away and go buy a new pc. cuz this mac is giving me a headache.

Reaction score
i am double clicking it it wont open.
and the other programs wont install. thanks for the help. i think i might just give this away and go buy a new pc. cuz this mac is giving me a headache.

Which programs won't install? They're not exe's are they?

Reaction score
I checked out your other post. You might be having a problem installing and running applications because they don't run on Panther (10.3.9). You might want to make sure that an app is compatible with your OS before downloading it. Sometimes the developers have older versions of their apps that you can download. :)

Reaction score
thanks for trying to help me!
its weird what happens when i try to download things. i just tried to download yahoo messenger for mac i did everything it said to do dragged it to the app folder but when i try to open it by double clicking on the yahoo messenger icon in my apps folder it just flashes for a second and does not open.

i attached a screen shot of what i get when i try to install other files

Attachments

• Picture 6.pdf
    19.9 KB · Views: 306
Reaction score
thanks for trying to help me!
its weird what happens when i try to download things. i just tried to download yahoo messenger for mac i did everything it said to do dragged it to the app folder but when i try to open it by double clicking on the yahoo messenger icon in my apps folder it just flashes for a second and does not open.

i attached a screen shot of what i get when i try to install other files

Yep, same problem again. According to this (See Link), this app runs on Tiger and, or Leopard not Panther. I recommend updating your Mac to either Tiger or Leopard. Panther, although it's a great OS is becoming obsolete.
http://messenger.yahoo.com/mac/

Reaction score
thanks!! i am attaching 2 more screen shots of what it does when i try to install other things maybe you know which program i need to choose ??

Attachments

• Picture 3.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 336
  • Picture 4.pdf
    70.3 KB · Views: 318
Reaction score
ummm your gonna think im a dork but how would i go about updating to tiger leopard or panther? and which is better?

Lol! I don't think that at all. You are running Panther (10.3.9) and you can update to either Tiger or Leopard (I recommend Leopard as it's the newest OS) by inserting the installation disc in your eMacs drive and booting up with it. Of course, the first step would be to get a Tiger or Leopard installation disc. By the way, eMacs are great computers. Which one do you have?

Ask a Question