Need help on Installing and Downloading!

Reaction score
Firstly Id like to know how to install things, for example when I put a disk in it never auto loads up like on windows, so how do I get the installation options up? also, pressing C like someone else told me never seemed to work...

Also, downloading on here confuses me, any tutorials explaining downloading?

thanks in advance.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What is it you are trying to install using a disc? Is it Mac Software or 3rd Party Software?

When you download something using Mac OS, the file usually arrives on your desktop in what's called a 'Container', be it a .zip, .dmg, .sit, etc.

All that's needed is to double-click the 'Container File' and in doing this you are launching the contained Volume which looks like an external Hard Drive icon.

Usually this mounted Volume then auto-opens with the contents finally revealed. It's usually required that you drag the app from this mounted Volume to your Apps folder. If you are not Admin then you will be prompted for the Username/Password.

Once installed in your Apps folder, go there to launch the App and the Apps icon will appear in your Dock and bounce to indicate it's launching. If you right/control-click the Dock icon you can select to keep it there after you quit it.

Finally, you need to eject the mounted Volume by dragging it to the Trash, which in turn will transform into the eject icon. Drag the volume over this eject icon to finish.

Reaction score
It's my printer disk and my drawing tablet disk.

he printer disk is 100% compatable with Macs but the Drawing tablet doesn't say if it is or isn't but I presume that it is.

You know you said to eject them things? are they the one that look like what the USB sticks look like?

Because when I go to eject them I says that I cannot eject it because of it is in use...but if I exit the program will it uninstall it?

thanks again.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Are you using Leopard? Have you ran Software Updater recently to make sure you have all the recent updates?

I seem to recall that Leopard had these issues with "Still In Use" error messages. Have you rebooted?

This is a typical .dmg file icon that you may download from time to time. It's a container file:

20071227-rupp6rtsfg2939sbcwskqdgir3.jpg

This is the Mounted Volume that you need to eject once installation of the enclosed app is complete:

20071227-c5h1ykydkuun7cdsm4wefsjanc.jpg

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Go to the Blue Apple icon in the far upper left and select Software Update from the drop-down menu. The app will launch and automatically search for available updates then will ask you if you want to install them. Have a look at each update and read about them by clicking on them to highlight them. It's that simple.

Reaction score
it's my msn and yahoo and firefox that won't let me removed.

should I close the program and then try to eject them? or will that remove the program?

also any help n the installing?

Ask a Question