Need help installing Mirage on MacBookPro/Intel

Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought Bauhaus' Mirage edu edition for my animation classes, my program head said we'd need to download Apple's Boot Camp to get it installed because of a compatibility with Intel glitch that exists. So I've installed Boot Camp, but I can't access the files on the Mirage disc, and the disc won't run automatically. The files on it are .inf and .exe which my mac tells me it can't open. I need to get moving learning this program for next semester, I would ask my program head, but I have a feeling he doesn't have this issue as he's got an older macbook. How can I get the disk to autorun so I can get it installed? I've never had this problem before.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
those files you described are windows only files
only windows can use them

i never heard of a intel glitch on powermacs before but i have a powerpc G5
you have boot camp though thats good
what you need to do is install windows xp sp 2 via boot camp and run windows on your mac
that wil allow you to instal those files under windows

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!
no, no, there is no way I'm putting windows on my mac. (ick)

well, if those are PC only files then that ecplains that, but Mirage is installable on OSX. The install booklet that came with it says it should autorun and open up a menu for me to choose the install destination, but when I insert the disc, nothing happens. That's why I went ahead and looked at the contents.

So is there maybe somewhere in system preferences that some kind of autorun for software discs is turned off? I only saw the blank disc options...?

Oh, and yes, this 'glitch' is only with this Mirage, and Adobe CS2 having trouble with the Intel MacBookPro's as far as I know

Reaction score
thats odd
if mirage is installable on os X it should either display a folder on the cd
or not show the windows files at all

what else do you see ?
there should be a folder on the cd for os x i generally dont go for autorun ( to be honest i have only seen a few autorun cd's ) usually i just double click a cd and look for the installer myself

Reaction score
Well in the OSX folder there's a pkg.sit file and a .sit file, but nothing will open them either... do I maybe not have some default opening program set? I try to open them and it wants me to choose an application to open them but nothing works, again.

Reaction score
Grr.. I forgot about the stuffit thing. Mine expired, so that's all it was.
Thanks for your help!

Now the nasty part of the 'glitch' is that the program's hardware key(dongle?) isn't recognized by the computer because of the intel.. So all we (meaning the entire animation school) have is 30-day trial of this program even though we all bought the whole version. I hope they get this fixed soon.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
your welcome
good to hear its fixed
and i just visited the bauhaus website they said there isnt anything for intel mac ...yet
otherwise this sofware needs to be reinstalled every month
..fun....just like windows

Reaction score
The reason your teacher told you to install boot camp was really so that you could install Windows and get Mirage running there instead (what boot camp does is make it possible to install Windows on the Mac, of course you need to get a Windows license and disc as well), as the OS X version apparently won't work correctly on Intel Macs.

How you resolve this is really up to you, either wait for Bauhaus to create an Intel-Mac version of the program and reinstall it every month until then, or install Windows beside Mac OS X through boot camp to get the full version running as soon as possible.

Virtualisation through Parallels would be another solution (getting Windows to run inside OS X, not as a choice on what to run every time you boot the computer), but as Mirage probably needs quite a lot of power, I'm not sure how well that option would run.

Reaction score
I will do the reinstall thing, thanks. Theres no way Im buying windows just to stick it on my mac so I can run one program.

Thanks for the reply!

Ask a Question