iMac 2012 Target Display not working

Reaction score
I have a 2012 27" iMac that I no longer use, but I learned that you can use the function called Target Display Mode to use it as a screen for another Mac. I followed the instructions, downgraded to High Sierra, have the right connections. My Mac Mini 2019, as well as my MacBook Pro 2013, shows up as connected device when testing (separately). But when I try to press Cmd + F2, which is supposed to activate Target Display Mode, it only returns the error sound of my iMac. I've tried different combinations, even Apple-scripts that worked for other people, but to no avail. I've seen some users report that they got it working when using an official Apple keyboard. Not even using it, just having it connected made it work for some. I don't have one, only Logitech. Is really my only solution to buy a used Apple keyboard and have it connected?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode

Per the above Apple Support document, your iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) running macOS 10.13.x High Sierra is setup properly. Are the Mac mini (2018) or MacBook Pro (2013) running macOS 10.15.x Catalina or earlier?

Not sure if it requires an Apple keyboard only, as all keyboards should be able to execute the Command-F2 key combination.

C

Ask a Question