I want to use Apples Pages on late 2012 27" iMac

Reaction score
I know VERY little about even simple tech matters.

I currently use a 21 inch iMac (early 2008) running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. It has various problems. It was clicking recently and I couldn't access anything for a couple of days. Someone said it's the hard-drive. I can access things now but a few sites won't open and may have broken up page images or a list of items on the left of the screen. This is what stops me accessing my email which I use mail2web to do. The dvd wasn't working when it was given to me.

I just bought a late 2012 27 inch iMac.

I need to access thousands of Apple Pages documents (that's all I ever use) and want to continue using Pages. I know Pages and don't want to change. I saw a tech website reporting that my late 2012 27 inch can run Catalina.

I earlier spoke with a 30 year tech veteran at our local Mac store. He said I can't update beyond OS 10 (I have 10.10.5 on 21" iMac) and all I can do is back up everything on Time Machine (I have 650GB) which I have backed up straight to a 1TB Hard Drive, not using Time Machine. He can put that on my 'new' 27 inch iMac to continue doing everything I'm doing but on the newer hardware. I think this would just transfer my current software problems to the 27 inch.

Is there any way I can use Pages (and possibly Keynote) while still gaining the benefit of my 27 inch hardware and a later OS? It had Sierra but the old owner may have deleted that.

I spend my life helping people without charge, often via my iMac, and would greatly appreciate your help.

Reaction score
That model iMac originally came with OS X 10.8.2 (12C2034) but it can upgrade all the way to macOS 10.15.7 (19H15). I’m confident that with the version of Pages that comes with macOS 10.15.7, you should be able to open and update your older Pages documents.

After you upgrade the iMac, I suggest doing Time Machine backups, at least to one drive. Personally, I back up to two TM drives, as well as a couple of NAS network drives.

Ask a Question