SOLVED Upgrade from el capitan late 2012 imac

Reaction score
Hi, I've got an iMac 27in late 2012 running El capitan. It works great, wasn't used for many yrs, (it was my daughter's, epilepsy and OCD made things difficult for her) hence I have it now. I'm trying to get a decent photo editor but the system is too old. Is it possible to upgrade to a newer system please and how??

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Lufbrarunner is correct - your iMac will support up to macOS 10.15.7 Catalina. You will need at least 12.5 GB of free space to install it.
-macOS Catalina is compatible with these computers
-How to get old versions of macOS

Also, some third-party software you are using may need an update/upgrade as well. As always, it is best to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

What kind of photo editor are you looking at?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Lufbrarunner is correct - your iMac will support up to macOS 10.15.7 Catalina. You will need at least 12.5 GB of free space to install it.
-macOS Catalina is compatible with these computers
-How to get old versions of macOS

Also, some third-party software you are using may need an update/upgrade as well. As always, it is best to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

What kind of photo editor are you looking at?

C
Ideally Photoshop but it's a bit pricey so I've seen pixelmator looks a good alternative. Currently backing system up on time machine and hopefully install Catalina

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Yes, I personally no longer use any Adobe or Microsoft software on my Macs...I don't like their subscription models, bloat, features I never use, etc. I do use GraphicConverter, Pixelmator/Pixelmator Pro, and Affinity Photo, all of which I actually prefer over Photoshop. I used every version of Photoshop since 2.5, but finally moved on at version CS4 (version 11).

Let us know if you run into any issues with Catalina.

C

Reaction score
Success guys Catalina installed and all running well. Also Microsoft office 2019 bought from xpresskey. (Had old 2011 version) One off fee, discount code express15 cost £59. Pixelmator pro also installed. Bonus, weren't sure if the system would take pro but it does, VERY happy with it. In fact, it's easier than Photoshop for me. Does everything I want it to. Thanks for for your help

Ask a Question