Ideas Required...

Ric

Reaction score
I have started writing a few 'Actions' for Automator...

...whilst I'm still in 'learning mode' has any one got any ideas for any new Actions, all suggestions welcome !

Regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Show and Hide Files/Folders Actions

Just in case you need it here's two Actions to start the ball rolling...

Installation Instructions

To install any new Automator Action, just copy the files that end in ".action" into this folder-->

Users-->your user name-->Library-->Automator

To uninstall just drag them back out to the Trash.

When installing or uninstalling this way it is best to quit out of Automator first.

Show Invisibles Version 1.0

This 'tells' your Mac to show you all the files and folders that are invisible.

Lots of the Files and Folders are 'hidden' by Apple for a reason, please be careful poking around.

Always backup first before editing or removing System Files.

Hide Invisibles Version 1.0

This 'tells' your Mac to hide all the files and folders that were originally set to be invisible.

Lots of the Files and Folders are 'hidden' by Apple for a reason, please be careful poking around.

Always backup first before editing or removing System Files.

Download them here.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Return the Clipboard Version 1.0

Another new Action for you...

This one 'returns' the text from a previous 'copy'.

So if you have used the 'Copy to Clipboard' Action earlier in your workflow, you can now 'Paste' it back into the workflow...

regards

Ric

Attachments

• Return_the_Clipboard.action.zip
    8 KB · Views: 448
Reaction score
How about a way to place text into the body of an outgoing mail message? That way you could create a new mail message with nothing in it, use a script or some such to generate text for the message, and use the new action to place the generated text in the email after the fact.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi willtyb,

I don't understand ?

can you expand a bit further, I'm not sure why not just use the new mail message Action, you can add text into the body...

...are you wanting to do a sort of mail merge thingy !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
This is from Apple Discussions...

Make Alias Vers 1 (Beta)

Add this action after a File or Folder Action and Alias's will be made on your desktop...

Attachments

• Make_Alias_Beta_Vers_1.dmg.zip
    24.1 KB · Views: 408

Ric

Reaction score
Have nearly finished all my current projects...so if any one has any more ideas, let me know !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
are you still looking for new things?

I'm pretty new to Automator/OSX (I got my Powebook about three weeks ago - loving my Mac so far) and I'm trying to figure out a way to turn email messages sent to a certain address into new sticky notes. I want to be able to shoot off a few emails from work, then come home, check my mail, and have those emails turned into new sticky notes, if that makes sense.

I can't figure out how to copy JUST the text from an email message to the clipboard. can you?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Yes, I'm always looking for ideas !

A new convert eh ! Glad you like your new PowerBook !

This is possibly more an AppleScript workflow...

I'll have a think and see what I can come up with.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply! I'd appreciate any help you can give me with this - AppleScript, Automator, what have you. I'm trying to read up on everything and play with it all at once; it's just so exciting. once I figure out how all this works I'm going to have a blast scripting my machine. :D

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

this doesn't do exactly what you want but it does something similar...

...it shows you how you could do things.

regards

Ric

Attachments

• Get messages into a text doc.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 317

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

If you turn on GUI scripting...then this will take it a bit further...

regards

Ric

Attachments

• Get messages into a Sticky.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 314
Reaction score
Re: Show and Hide Files/Folders Actions

Hey Ric - how do you actually *run* these actions?

For some reason they just show up as folders in my Automator folder, and when I click on them they open the "Contents" folder.

They show up as just icons on the .dmg but when I install them they turn up as folders, and they don't show up anywhere in the Automator interface.

I am an Automator Newbie, but how do you make an action you have downloaded run? What do I click on? How can I access all these actions I'm downloading through Automator?

Cheers,
Matt

Ric

Reaction score
Re: Show and Hide Files/Folders Actions

Hi there and Welcome !

It depends on what you are downloading...

There are "Actions" and "Workflows"...

automatoricons.jpg

Workflows can reside anywhere, workflows are made by linking together 'Actions' in Automator.

Action are the 'building' blocks of Automator, the default install of Tiger includes 100+ 'Actions'.

Any new Actions that you download from the Internet need to be installed in special folders...

...most Actions that you download should include an installer that 'puts' these files into the correct folders on your machine.

My earlier Actions didn't include an installer but all the new ones do...

You need to put any Action's that you have downloaded into this folder-->

Users/yourusername/Library/Automator

Quit Automator first, then drag any Actions you want into there.

To uninstall any just drag them out into the trash.

Hope this helps a bit...

if you're not sure of anything let us know.

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
I would like a simple solution to toggle between "internal sound out" and "external soundcard". Because i use this choice quite often the system preference panel is not very comfortable. I would prefer a simple keybord shortcut (function key?).

For instance: I have my headset permanently attached to an external soundcard. When I receive a Skype call (with the internal speakers on) I want to quickly change to the soundcard to avoid echo.

Generally speaking it would be nice to have Automator procedures for directly adjusting preference settings.

Regards
Ruedi

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ruedi,

I'll put my thinking cap on and see what I can think of...

I can do it via a GUI AppleScript if you want, but it's quite tricky without being able to see your Setup,(I don't have the same devices.)

Can you let me see a picture of the preference pane where you make the change, I presume it's this one, but still need to see yours to write a GUI AppleScript...

soundprefs.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric

Thats right. My preference pane looks the same but in norwegian translation.

Regards
Ruedi

Attachments

• Sound out.jpg
    Sound out.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 346

Ask a Question