Running out of space on My MBP - any ideas please!

Reaction score
I have a 13" early 2011 MPB running 16gb Ram with a 320gb Hard drive. I am running OS X 10.9.5 and considering upgrade to Yosemite. Looking at available storage in 'About this Mac' it tells me I have 6.2GB free out of 319.21GB. Looking at the graphic, 151.62GB is comprised of 'Other'.

Could someone please tell me what is 'Other' and how I can reduce it. I have a screen shot but cannot work out how to add it to this message.

Thanks

Reaction score
I do not get anything like that at all, via the graphic. For example, on my internal SSD, which is 256 gig in size, and for the primary partition, which is about 240 GB, I see 145.42GB free out of 239.8 GB, and 94.38 GB as "Other". Similarly, via the Finder, when I click once on the primary partition, then under File, I click Get Info, it shows Capacity: 239.8 GB, Available: 145.82 GB, and Used: 93.98 GB. With your drive, one would think it would show the Free (Available) amount as 319.21 GB - 152.62 GB = 166.59 GB.

Maybe you need to take a look at what is on the drive, and see if there is anything you can rid of. Also, you might want to try a free program called "Grand Perspective" (you can get it here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19515/grandperspective

Also, notice on that link that another one you could use is called Disk Inventory X. Just click on the link for that one. (There are a couple of other links there for similar products).

Ask a Question