G4 ideas please

Reaction score
hello, i'm new here,
Had a G4 mirror front 10.4.11, for 8 years, had new start up motor fitted 2 yr ago, it seems to have failed again.
But i have acquired another G4 same spec but with 10.5 OSX.
Question is can i take the Hard drive from the one which wont start & install into the upgraded one, it has 8 yr worth of photo's, music, & photoshop etc that i would like on there, is this a sensible option, i'm thinking i will have lots more space with 2 HD's.
Will it work, anyone think of any teething problems i'm not seeing.
The other option is to put the motor from the good one into my old one.
Or if anyone has any other ideas, thoughts on this please enlighten me.
Cheers
Wayne

Reaction score
Thanks for that spawn_dooley,
the recently acquired G4 is an '02 model but has 10.5 so must have had the firmware update.
Any other insights anyone before i start taking them to bits.
thanks

Reaction score
Right, I'm going to start this, is there anything else i need to move over with it or can i just take the HD unit from one to the other.

Another question, my mouse freezes occasionaly, not that often but its a pain 'cos i have to do a restart to get it back, any ideas? New mouse?

Also should i call my ISP for the correct settings required when setting up internet connection/modem, or is there a set of standard settings to go with, like i said above my old G4 wont boot up so i cannot check the settings i had previously.

thanks again in advance

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Those ISP settings are crucial, sometimes the Mac will detect them automatically ... I can't say 100% though that yours will.

Reaction score
Well the HD's don't want to run together, it starts ok with either one plugged in, but when both plugged in i get a grey screen, left it to run for 15-20 mins but still same, not even getting to the grey screen with apple logo.
Any further insights welcome.
Back running on old system now, all passwords & settings stored on old HD, new router in post for 10.5 OS to run on, just need to be able to migrate old HD to new, i have iphoto on old HD but newer one doesn't have it or i-life, can i copy this over & still use or will i have to buy leopard compatible i-life.

Reaction score
still getting the mouse issue aswell, just stops dead, cant move it or click anything, & have to do manual shut down to reboot it.

Reaction score
Work colleague has suggested i need to set main HD jumpers (whats a jumper) to master & other HD to slave.
he knows his stuff with PC's, but does it work the same way in my Mac, if so how do i go about finding & setting my jumpers.

Ask a Question