iCloud Mac to Website

Reaction score
So I recently bought a Macbook Air, with OSX Lion. I decided to create an iCloud account to have it ready before I buy more Apple products, because I was planning to.
I recently lost my flashdrive, so I thought I could use iCloud for that purpose. I set my documents to sync on iCloud, then I logged into the iCloud.com and looked for the documents, and it says I have to buy Keynote in order to use that. Only problem is, Keynote is an app for iOS devices, such as iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and I don't have either.
So how can I see my documents online without having Keynote?

Please help me. Thank you.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Are you on a Mac when you clicked that link on Apples Website? It should have launched the App Store.app on your Mac taking you to the download page for Keynote. The Sys Reqs are Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later and the download is 231mb.

This is what I see when I clicked that link on Apple's page:

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Reaction score
Are you on a Mac when you clicked that link on Apples Website? It should have launched the App Store.app on your Mac taking you to the download page for Keynote. The Sys Reqs are Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later and the download is 231mb.

This is what I see when I clicked that link on Apple's page:

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Yes, it leads me to the Mac App Store. But that's not the problem. When I go on the iCloud website and try to access my documents, it says to "Get Keynote for iOS", I don't have an iOS device. so even if I do download Keynote for Mac, what if it asks me to get Keynote for iOS too?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hmm. I don't have a Smart Phone, that's the problem. I believe the whole principle of iCloud needs to be looked at.

I believe that you use iCloud like so:

• You create the document on your Mac and it is sent up to your iCloud account as per your settings in Sys Prefs ~> iCloud.

• You can sync your iPhone to your iCloud account and access the doc (and you are probably 100% correct in stating that the need for Keynote of iOS).

• If you are on another Mac, you can access the iCloud Keynote Doc by logging into the iCloud web interface and download your Keynote doc to that Mac.
I don't use iCloud and only have access to the one Mac. I also have a very old mobile. I have recently read about iCloud though and that's what I base my advice on.

Reaction score
Hmm. I don't have a Smart Phone, that's the problem. I believe the whole principle of iCloud needs to be looked at.

I believe that you use iCloud like so:

• You create the document on your Mac and it is sent up to your iCloud account as per your settings in Sys Prefs ~> iCloud.

• You can sync your iPhone to your iCloud account and access the doc (and you are probably 100% correct in stating that the need for Keynote of iOS).

• If you are on another Mac, you can access the iCloud Keynote Doc by logging into the iCloud web interface and download your Keynote doc to that Mac.
I don't use iCloud and only have access to the one Mac. I also have a very old mobile. I have recently read about iCloud though and that's what I base my advice on.

This is weird, my brother has an iPhone 4S, and he has iCloud on his phone and on his SONY computer, and it works perfecetly fine. but I have a Mac and no iPhone, and it's giving me such a hard time.
All I wanted to do was wirelessly move my files. I guess I might as well go back to Dropbox. Apple disappointed me.

but thanks for your efforts man, I appreciate it.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hang on, have you been on another computer trying to access your file but because Keynote wasn't installed on that computer, you couldn't sync to iCloud to retrieve it?

Reaction score
Hang on, have you been on another computer trying to access your file but because Keynote wasn't installed on that computer, you couldn't sync to iCloud to retrieve it?

No, I synced my files from my Mac to iCloud, then logged into iCloud.com to check to see if I can download the files, but it says "Get Keynote for iOS".... which got me thinking.. I synced my files from my Macbook, logging in from the same Macbook... WHY is it asking me to get Keynote for iOS?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I don't think you can download those files to your primary Mac ... where they should already be stored on the Hard Disc. At least that's my understanding of how the iCloud business works ... could be wrong .... Are all documents found in your Documents Folder automatically uploaded to iCloud if you have that ticked in the prefs window? I'd like to run my own test on this just for my own sake so I am properly informed.

Reaction score
I don't think you can download those files to your primary Mac ... where they should already be stored on the Hard Disc. At least that's my understanding of how the iCloud business works ... could be wrong .... Are all documents found in your Documents Folder automatically uploaded to iCloud if you have that ticked in the prefs window? I'd like to run my own test on this just for my own sake so I am properly informed.

Yes, when I go into settings everything is checked under iCloud. Documents, Pictures, Email, etc.
Even if I can't DOWNLOAD it, I should at least be able to see it.

If you wanna try, first use iCloud, upload your stuff on iCloud, then go to the website from another computer and see what it says. You said you don't have an iPhone, so it should ask you to get keynote or iOS as well. if it doesn't, I'd come to a conclusion that Apple hates me. Lol.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
iCloud stores your documents and keeps them up to date on your devices and the web. To get started, launch Pages on your iOS device and turn on iCloud.
Well, this is what I see ... I need to buy an iPad or an iPhone or BOTH before I can use this feature it seems.

Now iCloud keeps your documents up to date across all your iOS devices — automatically. So whatever device you’re on, your projects are ready for you to pick up right where you left off.

Are you 100% certain that your Keynote project was sent to the cloud? This could be the 1 million dollar question. If it has been properly synced then it SHOULD be there for you to open and continue working with on any device that you have Keynote installed on. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to open the file from the iCloud website.

Reaction score
Well, this is what I see ... I need to buy an iPad or an iPhone or BOTH before I can use this feature it seems.

Are you 100% certain that your Keynote project was sent to the cloud? This could be the 1 million dollar question. If it has been properly synced then it SHOULD be there for you to open and continue working with on any device that you have Keynote installed on. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to open the file from the iCloud website.

Yeah, but if I was opening the website from an iPad, then it would make sense if it's asking me to buy keynote for iOS, but it doesn't make sense that it's asking me to download keynote for iOS while I'm on a Mac.

Reaction score
What I saw is 'Get Pages for iOS' so I think it's just an ad really.

No actually there are tabs on the top. "Keynote", "Pages", "Numbers". If you click on either one of them, it says get [whatever you clicked on] for iOS. That most probably means I have to get it before being able to use it.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I found this info:

To Upload Your Documents:

Go to the main page for www.iCloud.com from your computers browser, and click the little iCloud icon top left side of the internet browser. Then click on the iWork icon and then choose the application for the document you would like to upload. For Pages, Word or Text docs choose Pages. Then you can either drag and drop the document you want uploaded onto the open iCloud browser from your desktop or click the cog icon top right and browse your computer to locate the document you wish to upload.

For spreadsheets use Numbers tab and Keynote etc…

Once you have uploaded the document, you will not see a preview of the document in your web browser until you have actually opened the same document on one of your mobile devices first, it is then properly uploaded and synced.

Read on:

Reaction score
iCould is not an iDisk or for "On Line" storage. There are no Mac apps that can use iCloud document store, thats coming in Mountain Lion.

If you have an iWork App, Keynote, Pages or Numbers there apps are saved to the cloud and can be opened on any other iOS device, so 2 iPhones and iPads.

On into the future it is up to each individual App to implement iCloud Storage, it is NOT somewhere you as a individual can "Choose" to upload documents.

Reaction score
Even if you get them to download from the iCloud to your Mac, thats not hard, they are not in the Mac version file format, so you can trash your hard work doing this.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Yeah, but if I was opening the website from an iPad, then it would make sense if it's asking me to buy keynote for iOS, but it doesn't make sense that it's asking me to download keynote for iOS while I'm on a Mac.

You need to open the file on your iOS device BEFORE it appears in the iCloud web interface for use on your Mac ...

Reaction score
If you're determined to open them on your Mac they are in ~/Library/Mobile Documents

Ask a Question