I don't want Mail to open email links

Reaction score
I use Yahoo mail as my email service, so I don't use mac's Mail program. I also am using Safari to browse.

When I click on a link to an email address on a web page, Mail opens up, but since I don't have an account set up I have to cancel and therefore don't receive the address. I have tried to change the preferences in Mail so that a different default program can be opened after clicking the link, but I don't know of another program that will display the address for me (I tried stickies and text edit).

How can I view an address with out using Mail?

Reaction score
I use Yahoo mail as my email service, so I don't use mac's Mail program. I also am using Safari to browse.

When I click on a link to an email address on a web page, Mail opens up, but since I don't have an account set up I have to cancel and therefore don't receive the address. I have tried to change the preferences in Mail so that a different default program can be opened after clicking the link, but I don't know of another program that will display the address for me (I tried stickies and text edit).

How can I view an address with out using Mail?

Try Control-Clicking on the email link, copying it and pasting it in Text Edit.

Reaction score
You can do as Walrus says, and also you can set your Yahoo mail up to work in the Apple Mail program, which means you can collect and send your Yahoo mail via Apple Mail rather than logging in online.

So, when the mail application opens when you click on an email address, you can just fill in the email contents and send - much easier ;)

I think the servers for setting up are for the Incoming Server

pop.mail.yahoo.com

In the field Outgoing Mail server the name of the server handling the outgoing mail is

smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Username and password are what your Yahoo username and password are.

Reaction score
You can do as Walrus says, and also you can set your Yahoo mail up to work in the Apple Mail program, which means you can collect and send your Yahoo mail via Apple Mail rather than logging in online.

So, when the mail application opens when you click on an email address, you can just fill in the email contents and send - much easier ;)

I think the servers for setting up are for the Incoming Server

pop.mail.yahoo.com

In the field Outgoing Mail server the name of the server handling the outgoing mail is

smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Username and password are what your Yahoo username and password are.

Hello Kyomii, are you sure that you can do this? I tried doing this a while back and it didn't work. I was able to set up my Comcast and Juno (Juno would only receive email but not send it.) accounts but not Yahoo.

Reaction score
Yes, it does work, even though Yahoo say you can only do this if you use their paid versio, but if you have a .co.uk Yahoo address, you are fine ;)

I have it set up via Mail. I can post settings as you can use .co.uk without subscription:

In order to read your Yahoo! Mail an external email client (such as Eudora, Outlook, Netscape, etc.), you will need to configure the Incoming (POP) and Outgoing (SMTP) server settings so that it can send and receive messages from your Yahoo! Mail account. Generally, you can find these settings under the Tools or Preferences menus for your particular email program.

Important: Do not delete your incoming mail settings

If you are already receiving mail from another mail server (such as incoming mail to your address at your ISP), you will need to add a new POP account. Sometimes this is called a new "profile," sometimes a new "personality," depending on your email client. If your email client only allows you to receive mail from one POP server at a time, make sure you write down your current settings before you replace them with Yahoo! Mail settings so that you can change them back if you need to. Below you will find the server settings for accessing your Yahoo! Mail.

Server Settings
Incoming Mail Server (POP3): pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
Use SSL, port: 995

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
Use SSL, port: 465, use authentication

Account Name/Username: your yahoo username
Email address: (e-mail address removed)
Password: Your Yahoo! Mail password

Reaction score
Yes, it does work, even though Yahoo say you can only do this if you use their paid version ;)

I have it set up via Mail. Not sure if I can post settings here, so if anyone wants them, please PM me.

Sounds good.

Reaction score
I have posted settings above as .co.uk Yahoo addresses are fine. If it is a .com address, just try changing the servers to .com instead of .co.uk

Reaction score
No dice. Perhaps this works in England but not the U.S.A. :confused:

Attachments

• YahooConnectionError.jpg
    YahooConnectionError.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 327
Reaction score
You have set your incoming server wrong. The incoming server is:

pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk (or .com)

You have set your incoming server as smtp.mail.yahoo.com - that is the OUTGOING server ;)

Reaction score
You have set your incoming server wrong. The incoming server is:

pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk (or .com)

You have set your incoming server as smtp.mail.yahoo.com - that is the OUTGOING server ;)

Oops, must have had a "senior" moment there! :) :eek:
I tried it again (correctly) and received the same result.

Attachments

• MailScreenSnapz002.jpg
    MailScreenSnapz002.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 357
Reaction score
Try it this way:

http://www.scrippy.com/help/mail/yahoooe.htm

Read where it says about logging into your account at the bottom and follow instructions, and see if that works :)

Unless I'm having another senior moment, the only way that I notice that we could set Yahoo up with Mac mail is to pay for the Mail Plus option. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• YahooMailOptions.jpg
    YahooMailOptions.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 322
Reaction score
I think it is because you are in the US. You could try what the poster did on the last link I gave you (she is also US) and she managed to get it working.

Also, you could try to set the incoming server and outgoing server to .co.uk instead of com, and see what happens.

Or, do as I did, and set a new email account up from http://uk.yahoo.com/ - choosing a .co.uk email and using the settings I posted for mine. This should work because I am with AOL and have a USA IP address.

Ask a Question