.htm versus .html

Reaction score
OK, this is strange.

In using SeaMonkey, and saving a file as .htm, I get a Mac error message saying "You have used the extension '.htm' at the end of the name. The standard extension is '.html'," and it asks me to choose between .htm and .html. See https://www.flickr.com/photos/107674817@N06/shares/62q11i. Yep, that's a MacOS NSSavePanel popup error message, hijacking the SeaMonkey icon.

Now, this is DUMB. .htm and .html are equivalent, and have been so ever since DOS once only allowed three character file extensions. Even stranger, several other apps on my Mac seem to be able to save .htm files without the OS complaining. So why the hell does MacOS give a s**t about this, and why is it taking out its frustrations on SeaMonkey?

How do I turn this stupid error off? I WANT to use .htm. OS 10.11.6

Reaction score
This only seems to be the default action with SeaMonkey, I have tried with VS Code and Sublime text and they both allow the .htm extension, with no problem.
Extract from a SeaMonkey tutorial:
'Name your main page file with this name: index. You will see that Seamonkey will recognize that this is an html page and will apply the .html extension for you. The type-of-save bar is located below the file name bar. This will say: HTML files. You do not need to type .html after your file.'

If you choose 'All Files" instead of 'HTML Files' and add a .htm, when you get the error pop up, choose use '.htm'. It is a bit messy but it works.

Reaction score
Thank you. But I guess the issue is, who's at fault here? Is this a SeaMonkey problem in that it is allowing the MacOS to complain, or is it just a MacOS problem? As I said, I find it odd that with other applications, on my Mac, I don't get an error if I try to save .htm files. That's what you seem to be seeing as well. Why is the MacOS taking out it's frustrations on SeaMonkey?

Oh, sure, no problem actually saving as .htm, but I need to go through that eror pop-up every time.

Reaction score
Yeah, the Mozilla forum folks seem to be saying the opposite. But I tend to agree with you. SeaMonkey seems to be inviting the MacOS to get upset about it. Indeed, SeaMonkey defaults to .html, so it seems to be the one that wants it.

Ask a Question