Yosemite 10.10.5 Safari 10.0.1 HTML 5 play incompatible

Reaction score
Hello all,

In terminal frustration at El Capitan's incompatibility with non Apple software, I erased internal HD on my 21.5" iMac and reinstalled Yosemite which is compatible with all the software I have installed.

YouTube videos will not now play under Safari 10.0.1, citing "Your browser does not currently recognise any of the video formats available. Click here to visit our FAQ about HTML5 video".

After clicking that FAQ link I am still confused about how to resolve this HTML5 incompatibility issue. I have installed Safari extensions "ClickToPlugin" and "YouTube5" (among others). I have quit Safari and restarted but without improvement.

Could someone advise me how to get Safari to play HTML5 YouTube videos under Yosemite, please?

Sincerely, ranger1.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I vaguely remember this issue occurring back in the Yosemite days. A lot of people had issues with some of the substitute Flash plug-ins/extensions like YouTube Flash Player.

-What are all of the Safari Extensions and Internet plug-ins you have installed?
-Have you tried disabling Safari Extensions totally?
-Have you tried another browser - i.e. Chrome or Firefox?

C

Reaction score
Hello and thank you C,

I took a screen shot of all Safari Extensions I have installed (PNG file "Safari10.0.1Extensions" attached). I don't know how to ascertain which Internet plug-ins I have installed (apart from safariextz "YouTube5") which I installed yesterday, without any improvement in HTML5 readability.

I have tried disabling all Safari Extensions, quitting Safari and restarting, all without any HTML5 recognition improvement in Safari occurring.

I have today installed both Firefox (50.0.2) and Google Chrome (55.0.2883.75 64 bit) but am having considerable difficulty in using them after being so familiar with Safari.

Sincerely, ranger1.

Attachments

• Safari10.0.1Extensions.png
    Safari10.0.1Extensions.png
    184.6 KB · Views: 341
Reaction score
For either Google Chrome or Firefox, after you start it up, just go to the "title line" and enter www.youtube.com. ( just did it with Google Chrome, even though I have that site book marked already, and it went to the site). Then, select your HTML5 video/whatever, and see what happens.

Reaction score
Hello honestone,

I downloaded/installed Firefox and imported Safari bookmarks. The video will play okay in Firefox so that part of the issue can be bypassed. Thank you.

After I bookmarked/opened several YouTube videos in Safari 10.0.1 which earlier were not recognised, I downloaded/installed the Safari extension "YouTube5" which force opened Safari/Preferences/Extensions" to allow settings.

Now, the YouTube clip either displays in Safari but is frozen with "⏎ Use original player" option being dimmed and inactive (please see file 1).

Or the YouTube clip never opens at all (symbol continually spinning) and the "⏎ Use original player" option appears available but the link cannot be pressed (please see file 2).

I would much prefer to use Safari as my default browser as I am sufficiently conversant with it, for my purposes. I thank you again for your kind advice.

Sincerely, ranger1.

Attachments

• file 1 YouTube recognised but frozen.png
    file 1 YouTube recognised but frozen.png
    68 KB · Views: 388
  • file 2 YouTube video never opens.png
    file 2 YouTube video never opens.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 354
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not use Safari, as I prefer Google Chrome. When you downloaded Firefox, it was not necessary to import the bookmarks from Safari to test youtube.

I wonder if there is an issue with the Safari browser on your machine. Safari V10.0.1 came out in October, so you might try and download and install that version.

Ask a Question