How to return Mac to factory settings

Reaction score
How do I return my Mac Desktop to its original factory settings?
I’m assuming that you want to sell or gift your Mac and erase all trace of your ownership. The first thing you have to do is to turn off Find My Mac. This is important. Then you should reboot into Recovery, run Disk Utility to reformat/delete your internal drive.

Next, still in Recovery, opt to reinstall macOS. Recovery will point you to the system version that the Mac came with, depending on the make, or it will offer to install the newest version of macOS that it is capable of running.

If the installation is successful, it will then go to Migration and will ask for the source of your data. If you want it to really be on factory settings, just abort the migration and shut down. The next time the Mac is fired up, it will act like it booted for the first time and will put you through the process of “owning” it (i.e. initial migration). Good luck, and have fun.

Ask a Question