Macbook boots to black screen PLEASE HELP b4 I return/replace macbook

Reaction score
Hi,
I've had my macbook for about a month or 2 now and for the past few weeks, two things have been happening, either my macbook would restart unexpectadly on its own and/or my Macbook does not boot up correctly from the shutdown state. My restarting problem was fixed (for now) by sending my Macbook to get repair and many parts were replaced.
However(!) my Macbook still does not boot up properly, after shutting it off and turning it on again, all I get is a blank black screen. In order to use my computer at all, I have to reset the PMU or PRAM, or both. I am gtting really frustrated having to do so much to just boot up, please help!!! I am thinking of just going in and getting my macbook replaced completely, but it may be hard b/c I put in my own (perfectly good/working approved 2 gigs of RAM=seated properly).

Thanks

PS: I have a macbook 13-inch, 1.83 ghz, with upgraded 2 gigs of ram and my OS Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Reaction score
I was going to suggest a memory issue after reading the title and first paragraph, and, if these symptoms started again when you upgraded your memory, then it sounds like it could be a RAM issue.

Even though you have seated it correctly, and it is claimed to be "approved" it could be incompatible/faulty - where did you get the memory from?

Did you take any anti-static precautions before replacing the memory?

I would be inclined to take out the RAM, and replace with the original modules and see what happens. If the same thing happens, rather than mess around with it, I would recommend you contact Apple for repair because something is not right.

Make sure that you put the original memory back in the macbook otherwise your may be fighting an uphill battle. You describe many parts having already been replaced, do you know what parts did get replaced?

Reaction score
I think I got my memory from newegg.com and the ram is definitely "approved" for macbooks. And when i took it in,they said that ram should be working fine. The problem is that I live in San Francisco, and am going to school cross the country and can't get my original ram....but i am leaning to the idea that it isn't the RAM b/c all the tests say it works fine.

Parts replaced and had no effect =APP=605-0994 SVC, Top Case W App-603-9857 ASSY, Bezel, M42 APPB-630-7690 PCB, MLB, 1.83ghz DC, SMS/Kion (all this according to my serive report)

I just sent my macbook in for the second time....b/c they said they can't just replace my computer without trying again....so once again i am without it for a week.

Ask a Question