How do you return to (immediately) previous work in Mac OS10 , like Win10 allows?

Reaction score
Am I missing abilities that OS10 has (Mojave latest)?

I have used Windows for 20 years. In Win7 and Win10, it is possible for you to sit down at your computer, and get right back into where you left off, because windows has "recency." Win7 better than Win10, but new features in Win10 take this idea much farther. You can open recent folders, or recent files, and be back right where you were when stopping in your last log in. You can open recent files and folders. Win10 lets you scroll the desktop right back in time.

The "recents" on MacOS just shows stuff you have done lately--- it's useless because it is only what has and was open lately, but never sooner than a couple days it seemed. It's smart folders and recents and other attempts at taking you back to where you just worked are not functional or useful.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Jim

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

macOS only has the Recent Items and Recent Folders lists. You can change the maximum number of items (Documents, Apps, and Servers) in the Genereal preference pane - 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 50. You can also set it to Reopen windows when logging back in from the Restart/Shut Down/Log Out commands.

In addition, Apple's apps allow you to browse though previous versions and Revert To > Browse All Versions... of them from the File menu.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question