Old Hand Returns

Reaction score
One day back in 1985 I was under orders from my boss to introduce computers to his building company. He knew nothing about them. I knew scarcely more. I toured several dealers, but at a place called Computer City in the English town of Widnes I met something utterly different - the 'Fat Mac', with it's astounding 512k of RAM!

One could buy one of these astounding machines with an extra disc drive and a dot-matrix printer, the 'Desktop Publishing Package', for £2000. I persuaded my boss to buy some, but eventually went to work for the dealer as a technician on the basis that I could use a soldering iron.

I moved on and away from Macs but now in my mature years I can afford to buy a Mac for myself. Have things changed at all?

Laurence.

Reaction score
Hi Cory

We have already been corresponding under the heading 'Connecting to Mixer'.
Thanks for your advice there.

I just want a desktop machine to be a recording studio, movie lab, CAD and GIS station, and loads of things I've not thought of yet.

The iMac 27" retina 5k seems to be the one for me.

L

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Laurence :). Hopefully you'll like the improvements in Macs since your first one :D.

Reaction score
Hi Laurence! Welcome back to the good side!

Yeah, Macs have changed quite a lot, even in the last 5 years! With the iMac you plan on purchasing, I would suggest you get one that has an SSD as the main drive. You iMac will run much, much faster. Then, if you need additional storage, you can purchase external drives that are rather inexpensive these days.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your messages. I got my iMac 27" running El Capitan today.

Already it is ruined, but I am sure not not permanently with your help.

It timed out and utterly refused to recognise the lovely new password I'd just given it.
I tried to change the password with iCloud but again the password was not recognized. (Different password)

I tried switching it off and on again an hour later but it just returned to the same point.

What is the proper form for an iCloud e-mail address? @iCloud?

Yours somewhat stuck,

Laurence

Reaction score
The key was in the question " What is the proper form for an iCloud e-mail address?"

Once I'd discovered that I could solve the problem easily.

That just leaves the problem of the old guy who forgets the exact format of a password after two hours.

L

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know how things worked out and congrats on the new iMac!

We're here if you need us,

C

Ask a Question