How to do Time Machine restoration?

Reaction score
I performed a search of the forums for an answer, but did not see any recent discussion.

I do not understand how to use Time Machine. There may be some photo files from a few years ago for which I would like to find/restore the original raw files, if possible.

I have a Time Capsule that presumably has been capturing files, but I don't know what to do after selecting "Time Machine". I see all the dates of the backups, but when I click on one, I get nothing. What should happen? How do I find and then restore old files? If I do a restore, will that action wipe out my current files? At this point, I am not sure the files are actually on my Time Capsule, but I'm hoping.

If I need to read something, please provide a link. Thank you.

Reaction score
Click on the time machine icon in the menu bar, click Enter time machine, this will show a stack of finder windows. Down the right hand side of the screen will be a time line, choose the date of the backup you require and the finder window for that backup will be displayed at the top of the stack, navigate to the file you require and right click it, you then choose Restore "Name of file" to.. you can then choose where to restore the file to.
There may be other ways to do this but it works for me.

Reaction score
Click on the time machine icon in the menu bar, click Enter time machine, this will show a stack of finder windows. Down the right hand side of the screen will be a time line, choose the date of the backup you require and the finder window for that backup will be displayed at the top of the stack, navigate to the file you require and right click it, you then choose Restore "Name of file" to.. you can then choose where to restore the file to.
There may be other ways to do this but it works for me.
Thank you!

Ask a Question