How do you change download folder properties on Mac?

Reaction score
new to mac, bought a used Panther OS 10.3 iMac...not finding it as easy as people said it would be to operate. I can't seem to download anything I get in an email or from the web. can't find where to change the download folder properties, any help out there? the text box that keeps popping up is user/deb/desktop/5zfcwiy.O

Deb is the previous owner, and no where on Thunderbird, Firefox, or in the Finder, or System Preferences can I find a way to change this. Nor does the search for that folder show up anywhere. I'm at a loss. Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
new to mac, bought a used Panther OS 10.3 iMac...not finding it as easy as people said it would be to operate. I can't seem to download anything I get in an email or from the web. can't find where to change the download folder properties, any help out there? the text box that keeps popping up is user/deb/desktop/5zfcwiy.O

Deb is the previous owner, and no where on Thunderbird, Firefox, or in the Finder, or System Preferences can I find a way to change this. Nor does the search for that folder show up anywhere. I'm at a loss. Thanks for any advice.
Hello, First of all, whenever someone buys or receives a computer from anyone I recommend erasing the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. This way you get to set the computer up the way that you want it, you have a brand new, pretty much error free (On a Mac) operating system and no unwanted files taking up space and mucking things up in one way or another.
If you don't have the Panther installation discs go to System Preferences, click on the accounts tab, if the lock icon is locked click it to open it, enter Deb's password (If you don't have her password it might be time to invest in the new Leopard installation disc. Panther is getting quite old anyway),click on the plus button and set up an account of your own.
As far as saving downloads, you can choose where to save your downloads by using your browser's preferences. I'm sending an attachment of how it looks like in Safari. :wink:

Attachments

• Safari Dowloading Preferences.jpg
    Safari Dowloading Preferences.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 1,976
Reaction score
I agree with Walrus666 I would all ways reformat and reinstall the OS you never know what crazy stuff someone else did

Ask a Question