How do I stop Mail Messages being deleted?

Reaction score
Hi
I use Gmail via MAIL on my Powerbook. All was great ........ until ......

Now whenever I read a mail message on my iPhone, it no longer appears in my inbox on my Powerbook. This is really annoying.

Also whenever I write a new mail message on the Powerbook, 7-15 copies of it appear in the Trash folder! This is crazy.
I want my MAIL back to where it was.

Help!!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

First off, we need a little more information.

-Which exact model Mac? Is it really a PowerBook?
-Which version of OS X?
-Which model iPhone and version of iOS?
-Have you tried accessing your Gmail account via a web browser on the Mac, and does it function normally there?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

First off, we need a little more information.

-Which exact model Mac? Is it really a PowerBook?
-Which version of OS X?
-Which model iPhone and version of iOS?
-Have you tried accessing your Gmail account via a web browser on the Mac, and does it function normally there?

C
Hi
Thanks for your response!
OS X.11.5
Macbook Pro 2013 model, 15"
iPhone 6, 9.3.3
Yes I can use Gmail through Safari as normal .... though I normally just read mail on my mac and iPhone.

My best guess is that it has something to do with synching through iCloud, but I'm not sure.
For example, the email I got from this forum, I read on my iPhone, and it's not in my intro on my mac.

Thanks
Bruce

Reaction score
Just to let you know, El Capitan was upgraded to 10.11.6 about 2 weeks ago. You can get the Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1885?locale=en_US

Not sure if it will help resolve your issue, as I use Outlook for my primary EMail client (I do have separate EMail accounts on gmail.com and hotmail.com, but they are separate from my primary comcast account). But, it is always best to have the latest version of the OS.

Reaction score
oldscribe, Thanks for that one, I had a similar problem with my iPad and Mac and assumed it was because one of my accounts was imap vs pop3.

Reaction score
Honestone,
Thanks for the tip on the El Capitan upgrade. I don't know why I wasn't told about it.
This should probably be in a separate thread, but it's just a quickie so I'm hitching a ride here: I also use Outlook, and because of a recent Microsoft alert I got, I expanded to a 16-byte password. It works just fine, but now Outlook gives me an "Invalid email address" popup. Any comment?
Kent, eh? I have a good friend on Kennebeck Ave. N.

Reaction score
Honestone,
Thanks for the tip on the El Capitan upgrade. I don't know why I wasn't told about it.
This should probably be in a separate thread, but it's just a quickie so I'm hitching a ride here: I also use Outlook, and because of a recent Microsoft alert I got, I expanded to a 16-byte password. It works just fine, but now Outlook gives me an "Invalid email address" popup. Any comment?
Kent, eh? I have a good friend on Kennebeck Ave. N.

Are you using Office 2011? I am, and it would be good if you have the latest version, V14.6.6 You can get it from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53303

I've never had any issues with Outlook, and definitely not the one you are encountering.

(Richfield, MN, eh? Parts of Seasons 1 & 2 of the excellent TV series Fargo take place in Minnesota)

Reaction score
I'm using Outlook for Mac:2011. I'm not going to worry about the popup. If it doesn't like a 16-byte password, so be it, as long as it behaves nicely otherwise.

Ask a Question