How do I stop mail from downloading mail?

Reaction score
I set up mail so that I could send an email by clicking on a link somewhere on the net, and not have to copy the address to send the mail (in gmail.) After I did this, suddenly all my mails are on the computer which I definitely did NOT want and I want to stop it from doing this altogether. I want all of them gone and will be happy to go back to just copying an email address on line to get rid of this. I use gmail and do NOT want email on the computer at all; all I wanted was to be able to click on an email link and be able to have gmail come up, online. NOT on my computer. Help! I bought this computer about a month ago and it keeps doing things that I did not intend. I am not someone who wants to be linked to everything; I want everything totally separate. I have 10.9.6 OS, and all I want to do is shut this off and go back to where I was before I set it up.

Ask a Question