SOLVED How can I stop auto update to Calendar?

Reaction score
My calendar began an auto update of annual holidays. But this time it screwed my calendar - it is frozen and I can't find where to turn off the auto update. Stupidly, I haven't done a backup for 3 mths. I have medical appts coming up as well as other appts so need my calendar asap. Can anyone help pls?

Attachments

• Calendar error.png
    Calendar error.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hi Blondie, welcome to the forums.

If the calendars are synced with icloud then the first thing to do is to sign into icloud.com and see if your calendars are correct there.

If they are correct there then you should go to your System Preferences under iCloud and turn off Calendars. When prompted Delete from your computer. Restart your Mac and then turn calendars back on.

If the calendars are on Google or another service, then you should still check if the calendars online are correct, then go to your System prefernces under Internet Accounts turn off calendars under your service, restart and then turn them back on.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, MacsBug. Sadly I'm not connected to any internet backup service, hence the only thing in my Sys Pref under Internet a/cs is hotmail, which never did link to my apple mail anyhow. I'm going to go into town on Friday to the Genius Bar and hope they can help.

I know it has to do with my running OSX 10.11.6, but that was deliberate as I have apps that won't run under later operating systems. My iMac died 2 yrs ago and I've been meaning to buy another Mac but just haven't got around to it - and the cost is somewhat prohibative. This has now forced my hand.

Back to the calendar. I did a backup yesterday and tried something that didn't work. I thought by setting my global date back a month to last Dec, the system wouldn't try to update the holidays, and I could at least see my forthcoming appts. Theoretically, it should have worked, but the jolly thing still tried to update. Then, a minute later, it went blank.

Thanks for your reply; it is appreciated.

Reaction score
Further and final update. I tried some other solutions that didn't work, and ended up by going in to the Genius Bar at Apple, followed by an hour-long call with one of Apple's tech support. Between the two, my calendar got recovered, much to my relief. Lesson learnt - back it up each week at least!😁

Ask a Question