How can I make an external drive searchable in Yosemite?

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you can tell me how I can make an external drive "searchable" on my Mac. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.3. I've used the System Preferences> Spotlight > Private> load the drive, delete the drive method, but it doesn't work anymore. Maybe things have changed with the latest OS.

Thanks very much for your help with this issue.

Reaction score
I don't use Spotlight, as I much prefer the excellent freeware program EasyFind (you can get it from here:http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11076/easyfind). I am also running the latest version of Yosemite, 10.10.3.

In any event, I have a 1 TB external drive attached to my Mac Mini, and on it within the partition Miscellaneous is a folder entitled "Movies", and one of the movies I have in there is the excellent "A Beautiful Mind". Well, I launched EasyFind, put "A Beautiful Mind" in the search "bar", selected that external drive, and the program found it.

I suspect Spotlight is just about as "simple", but again, I don't use it.

Reaction score
Hello honestone!

Thanks very much for your advise. EasyFind works very well!

I really appreciate your help!!

Thanks so much! Eddie

Reaction score
Glad I could help. And, EasyFind does not take up resources like Spotlight does.

Ask a Question