SOLVED Help setting back to factory settings

Reaction score
I recently purchased a MacBook Air M2 because I could no longer upgrade the OS on my MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 16 GB DDR3 OS Big Sur. I am desperately trying to set my 2014 machine back to factory so I can sell it. No matter what steps I try doing an online search, it doesn't work. I've tried going to the Apple>Shut down and then restarting it holding down the power button but I never get Options to appear to follow the rest of the instructions. I've tried Apple>Shut down while holding down the power button. Still no luck. By the time I pay $60 to have our local Mac place clean it off it will cut into whatever I'll make selling it. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I recently purchased a MacBook Air M2 because I could no longer upgrade the OS on my MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 16 GB DDR3 OS Big Sur. I am desperately trying to set my 2014 machine back to factory so I can sell it. No matter what steps I try doing an online search, it doesn't work. I've tried going to the Apple>Shut down and then restarting it holding down the power button but I never get Options to appear to follow the rest of the instructions. I've tried Apple>Shut down while holding down the power button. Still no luck. By the time I pay $60 to have our local Mac place clean it off it will cut into whatever I'll make selling it. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
First thing you need to do in this case is to go to Systems Preferences, iCloud, Find My Mac (not sure if this is the exact wording pre-Ventura, but you should be able to get there). Turn it off.

Now, restart into Recovery by booting and holding down command-R. Look for Disk Utility and format/erase the internal drive, as APFS if possible. Afterwards, exit and go into installing macOS. When the installation is done, exit out of Recovery. You can ignore the prompts to further configure the Mac. This will bring it to “factory” state with the most current version of macOS installed (Big Sur, probably) that the MBP will run.

Your buyer will thank you for it. Keep in mind, turning off Find My is the most important step.

Reaction score
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for your clear, concise instructions. My computer is now totally cleared off with OS Big Sur installed. I really can't thank you enough. I'm an intelligent person but it's incredible how technology can sometimes makes me feel like an idiot.

Reaction score
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for your clear, concise instructions. My computer is now totally cleared off with OS Big Sur installed. I really can't thank you enough. I'm an intelligent person but it's incredible how technology can sometimes makes me feel like an idiot.
I know, right? I’m glad to be appreciated and acknowledged. You simply had enough forethought and consideration for thinking about getting your Mac in proper condition for its next owner. Believe me, few owners are even aware of Find My. Some never even get around to turning it on in the first place.

Ask a Question