Help set up a Mac Pro

Reaction score
I recently got a used Mac Pro 5.1 Model 2010
Quad 3.2
2 hd
one 128GB SSD on PCIe where mac 10.11 is on.
one 2GB HD.

I current using macpro 1.1 where all my OS and data in one internal 2TB hd.
how do I transfer all my info to this SSD.
I assume that iTunes and iPhoto have to be in this SSD hd it is boot from there..
I have large music and photo collection'
Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
First, what is "macro 1.1"?

Secondly, regarding "I current using macro 1.1 where all my OS and data in one 2TB hd", is that 2 TB HD an external drive?

Third, for the two drives inside the Mac Pro, you said one of them is "2 GB HD". I don't think that is correct. Please clarify that. Also, is that 128 GB SSD, 2 "GB" HDD a Fusion setup?

Fourth, does the Mac Pro boot up now? If so, that would say you have OS 10.11 on it, and thus the versions of iTunes and iPhoto are on the 128 gig SSD already (that is usually the way a Fusion Drive "setup" is made. The OS is on the SSD, and larger files are in the HDD).

Finally, if it is OS 10.11, there is a later version, OS 10.11.3, that came out almost 1 month ago. You can get the OS 10.11.3 Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1859?locale=en_US

Reaction score
Autocorrection problem
it is macpro 1.1 with internal 2tb hd
the one I just bought have a system drive on 128GB SSD connected via PCIe
and one internal 2gb Hd with 3 free hd bays
it is boot up now.
I did not realize it is how it is setup as Fusion drive
how to transport all my data to this new macpro

Reaction score
Again, you state that one of the internal drives in the machine is "one internal 2gb Hd". I still think that is not correct. Yet, two lines above that, you state "it is macpro 1.1 with internal 2tb hd". Is that another machine you have? It is important you clarify that.

Assuming that is true (ie, you have a MacPro 1.1 machine that has a 2 TB drive inside it), and that you want to "move" some stuff from that 2 TB drive to the 128 gig SSD/2 "GB" HDD, need to know exactly what you want to move. Given you already have the OS (El Capitan) on the 128 gig SSD, there of course would be no need to move any OS-related stuff from that 2 TB drive.

Reaction score
I have 2 mac pro.
the older mac pro 1.1 have 2TB hd where all my os 10.7.5 and data
The newer mac pro 5.1 have 128gig SSD and 2tb hd.
want to migrate all document, iTunes and iPhoto to the new macpro 5.1.
do I need to reinstall all the other software like Office, Adobe CS ….
where to install to SSD or the 2tb hd.
Thanks

Reaction score
OK, this is going to be a little bit of planning and work. Here are some preliminary tasks you need to perform:

1. How much space is left on the 128 gig SSD in the newer MacPro? Let me tell you my situation, so that you can get an idea how many applications you can "migrate" from the old MacBook Pro to the newer one.

My MacMini has a 256 gig SSD, and my MacBook Air has a 251 gig SSD. In addition to version 10.11.3 of El Capitan, I have the following 3rd party applications installed:

1Password
Onyx
Office 2011
Quicken 2007
TechTool Pro
SuperDuper!
VLC
Easy Find (a replacement for Spotlight)
Transmission
Trash It!
AppCleaner
Google Chrome
Firefox
Klondike Forever (a solitaire game)
Magic Number Machine (a calculator)
altMonitor
Adobe Acrobat Pro

I have a few more smaller ones. I also have in my Documents folder some other personal stuff, including two folders that contain both original applications and any updates. And, in my downloads folder, I do have some "large" folders containing some TV series. But, the total space taken up on each SSD for all that (ie, the OS and all those applications and "stuff") is a little over 100 gig, ie, less than half. It is a good idea to leave at least 20% of your SDD space free.

So, as you can see, it depends on how many applications and "date" files you want on the SSD.

2. For the applications you want to migrate, you will need to insure that you have the most recent versions for compatibility with El Capitan. Assuming you have Office 2011, version 14.5.8 came out in September, near the release of El Capitan. That is the "earliest" version that is compatible with El Capitan.. Since then, two more versions have been released, the most recent one being V14.6.1.. You can get that from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51174

You will need to check on the other apps you have for such compatibility. I had to upgrade 5 critical apps before I could upgrade from Yosemite, OS 10.9.5, to El Capitan, OS 10.11.1.

3. You will need to connect the two Macs together via a Firewire 800 cable, boot your newer MacBook Pro, and then boot your older one in Target Disk Mode, by holding down the "T"key on the keyboard attached to that older MacPro. Once that is done, the 2 TB hard drive for the old MacPro will appear on the desktop of the newer MacPro as another disk drive. You'll then be able to "migrate"/copy non-OD "stuff" from that 2 TB drive to the "Place" where you want it on your newer MacPro (the 128 gig SSD, or the 2 TB HDD).

Reaction score
A couple of corrections to my post above:

1. I first upgraded from Yosemite, OS 10.10.5, to El Capitan, OS 10.11.1.

2. When I stated "So, as you can see, it depends on how many applications and "date" files you want on the SSD", I meant to say "So, as you can see, it depends on how many applications and "data" files you want on the SSD".

Also, I forgot to mention that when you want to do the "migration"/copy of your non-OS stuff to the newer MacPro, Apple provides a program called Migration Assistant just for that purpose. It is located within the Utilities folder,which is within the Applications folder,

Reaction score
Another correction to what I stated. I wrote "you can "migrate" from the old MacBook Pro to the newer one". That needs tor read "you can "migrate" from the old MacPro to the newer one".

Ask a Question