Help Please!!!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I've been searching high and low for help on this and I am hoping that someone here might be able to help me.....

I have a Power Mac G4 450 DP Gigabit/Ethernet and It won't turn on.

I have reset the PMU, replaced the 3.3 Volt Battery (and reset the PMU again) as outlined at the apple support page. I know the outlet is fine and the power cable is fine.

I fear it is the power supply, but I replaced the thing about a year ago and this is the first problem since then.

Does anyone have any ideas for something I could try? I know the machine is old (bought it in 2001) but I need to have it working. I do audio production and the the hardware and plugins I have are not supported in anything later than OS 9.2.2

I really don't want to replace the Power supply to the tune of $170 or so ESPECIALLY since I did it so recently.

Is there a bigger issue here?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hello mfriedl1 & welcome to the forums :)

Exactly what is happening when you turn your mac on? Are you hearing the Startup Chime?

Do you have the System disc? Have you tried booting from this if you can? Press/hold 'C' when you hear the startup chime. Disconnect all peripherals from your Mac except keyboard/mouse. Try running Disc First Aid to check your hard drive.

Try resetting the PRAM. Hold Command + Option + P + R and start the machine. Hold the keys until you hear the second startup tone, then release. Hopefully your Mac should boot.

Hope this helps you :)

Reaction score
Hi

Unfortunately nothing happens. No fans, not spinning drives, nothing.

I've tried the button on the CPU as well as the start up button on the monitor, no difference. I have a start up disk, but it is not good if the there is nothing happening when I try to turn it on...right?

THanks for your reply, I really appreciate any advice you can offer.

Marc

Hello mfriedl1 & welcome to the forums :)

Exactly what is happening when you turn your mac on? Are you hearing the Startup Chime?

Do you have the System disc? Have you tried booting from this if you can? Press/hold 'C' when you hear the startup chime. Disconnect all peripherals from your Mac except keyboard/mouse. Try running Disc First Aid to check your hard drive.

Try resetting the PRAM. Hold Command + Option + P + R and start the machine. Hold the keys until you hear the second startup tone, then release. Hopefully your Mac should boot.

Hope this helps you :)

Ask a Question