Help Please, how to change scanning DPI?

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'm running IOS 10.10.2 on my iMac, I have an HP Officejet Pro 8610 scanner / printer.
When scanning photo's the printers software or front panel lcd don't give any options that I can find to increase the very poor DPI setting that appears to be standard default.
How can I increase this setting on the iMac itself......I have searched and Googled until I'm blue in the face and can find nothing....can someone please help me to set the scan DPI to something higher.
Any nice thoughts welcome, I'm new to Mac so please be kind ;-) Thanks Dave Vancouver BC Canada

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few questions/comments:

-Are you using the HP scanning software? It should have settings to adjust DPI and/or quality.
-Have you tried scanning using Image Capture in the Applications folder?
-I would use the Scan button on the front panel of the unit...use a software-based solution.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, Firstly thanks so much for taking the time to help !
Yes I am using the HP scanning software and have tried also using the Image Capture in Apps....unfortunately neither seem to offer a higher res than the default that I can find anyway! I may indeed be missing something simple as am relatively new to Mac and have grown up so to speak with PC's. I have not tried any other software based solutions.....do you have any suggestions for that route?
Unfortunately the scan options on the printer offer little or no adjustments for DPI that I can find and have Googled until I'm going nuts ;-)
Anyway, will play some more later today and thanks once more ! Dave

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Are you scanning using the top Document Feeder? If so, its maximum DPI is 300. Change the source setting to "Always scan from glass" and you should be able to increase the DPI setting.

You could also try a third-party scanning app like VueScan from Hamrick Software. That's what I have used for years.

C

Reaction score
Hi again Cory, I took your advice and downloaded the free app VueScan to try it....seems good, doesn't actually tell me what DPI I'm scanning in but does at least allow me to choose High, Med or Low res. If all goes well I will spring for the desktop version. Thanks mate !

Reaction score
Hi again Cory, I took your advice and downloaded the free app VueScan to try it....seems good, doesn't actually tell me what DPI I'm scanning in but does at least allow me to choose High, Med or Low res. If all goes well I will spring for the desktop version. Thanks mate !

I use the paid version of VueScan, and it is an excellent product! Definitely a good investment.

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts, I will go ahead and download it for the Mac.
Once again, thanks for taking the time to assist me.....appreciated !

Ask a Question