SOLVED Help! Overwritten iphoto?

Reaction score
Hi

I would be really grateful for any help. I think I have lost a whole library of photos going back 5 years and I'm feeling a bit sick!

We recently lost our dog and I wanted to back up all of our photos of our trips away with him. I have an old powerbookG4 and the screen is dead so I mounted it onto our imac using target disk. The imac is pretty ancient also, using OS X.6.8

Anyway, I dragged the iphoto library from the powerbook to the imac desktop. Then I wanted to access the iphoto from the imac. As soon as I clicked on it it wouldn't open saying that I needed to upgrade. Stupidly I clicked on upgrade and now iphoto is only showing the pictures from the iphoto library from the powerbook. It seems as though it has overwritten the whole of the imac photo library and I have apparently lost 5 years worth of precious photos.

If there is any way to retrieve the original iphoto library I would be forever grateful for your help!

You might have gathered, my knowledge is close to zero. What if I deleted the iphoto library that I just imported from to desktop. Might it then default to the old library if it still exists somewhere?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think that the reason that iPhoto is showing the imported Library is because you tried to open it prior to the upgrade. An upgrade should not delete your original pictures.

Have a look in your Home Folder>Pictures Folder. Is there still an iPhoto Library file still there? If there is, then double click on it and hopefully iPhoto will open and show your missing pictures.

Reaction score
Thanks. I've got it now. I'm so relieved and the girlfriend is speaking to me again.

Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question