Help! My Desktop Broke!

Reaction score
I use a Dual 533 MHz PowerPC G4. For some reason, all the files and folders on the desktop were deleted today. If i try to move a new item to the desktop I get the following list of messages.

When I first drag an item to the desktop - "The item "file" could not be moved because "Desktop" cannot be modified," with the options "OK," and "Authenticate"

When I hit authenticate - "You do not have the permission to see the results of this operation. do you want to continue?" I get the options "Cancel," and "OK"

Then it tells me to enter my password.

After that - "The operation cannot be completed because one or more required items cannot be found." (error code -120) Then the file gets deleted.

If I try to open the desktop from the users folder it says: "The folder "Desktop" could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges," but I'm the admin for the computer.
The only things I had done that day were download OpenAL sound drivers that I got from the Apple website, and Lego Digital Designer, which I got from the Lego website. Anyone know whats going on?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

It sounds like your 'permissions' have got messed up...

Go to your Applications Folder-->Utilities and launch Disk Utility from there Run "Repair Disk Permissions" then do a restart...

If it fixes it, then you are good to go !

If not, then boot off your OS install disk...when the Installer menu comes up...Don't install...but go to the Menu Bar and launch Disk Utility...and then Run Repair Permissions...then do a restart, eject the disk and boot normally.

Let us know how you get on !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question