help - i've lost a file of photographs

Ric

Reaction score
Yes, just emailed you a box !

Can you send a Screen grab of what you see ?

command + shift + 3 then send me the file ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
you want blood don't you! me? grab a screen shot? LOL!

I'll give it a try!

Reaction score
command? apple and square with squirley corners?

shift and 3 .... all at the same time? or in sequence - both give me nothing.

Please call local medical folk to inject me with some IQ!

I don't know what I should be doing - but i'm trying my best - which is clearly not good enough :-(

Reaction score
mrsp said:
I have just tried to put the last 3 months worth of photographs on to disc.

I dragged and dropped the whole file onto the disc icon on my desktop and then was told that I shouldn't have done that - and that I should drag and drop each picture individually.....so I dragged the file out and then :eek: opened it....and it said:

"The alias "pics to put on disc" could not be opened because the original item cannot be found"

Where has it gone? How did it get an alias and what is an alias!?

can someone help?

Dragging and dropping from a disk to the desktop creates a 'shortcut', which is known as an 'alias' in the Mac world.

When copying from a disc/memory card/camera etc, what you need to do, is select all the items to be transferred, right click (or ctrl click for single button mouse) and select 'copy', then paste the items where you want them (in a pre-determined folder or desktop etc.)

I had the very same problem when I first started using Mac's - because they are based on drag and drop, I dragged and dropped some music from a disc to the desktop, but this only creates the shortcut, (or alias) not the actual (music) file. So you must copy and paste :)

Reaction score
Kyomii said:
Dragging and dropping from a disk to the desktop creates a 'shortcut', which is known as an 'alias' in the Mac world.

When copying from a disc/memory card/camera etc, what you need to do, is select all the items to be transferred, right click (or ctrl click for single button mouse) and select 'copy', then paste the items where you want them (in a pre-determined folder or desktop etc.)

I had the very same problem when I first started using Mac's - because they are based on drag and drop, I dragged and dropped some music from a disc to the desktop, but this only creates the shortcut, not the actual (music) file.

so have i lost all my photos? :eek:
some of them are here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smpdigital1/

some are not

Reaction score
mrsp said:
so have i lost all my photos? :eek:
some of them are here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smpdigital1/

some are not

Hi mrsp,

From your initial post it sounds like you have just dragged and dropped the whole lot and then deleted the file. This will result in nothing more than a shortcut to the memory card of the camera containing the folder.

Have you checked your camera to see if the folder is still there?

If it is not there, then do a search on your harddrive to see if you can find any of the pictures as Ric suggests - but if you deleted the camera card and you only dragged and dropped on the desktop then it sounds like they are gone. :(

You can retreive them from the internet link you posted though, but they will be compressed versions of the originals.

Reaction score
Kyomii said:
Hi mrsp,

From your initial post it sounds like you have just dragged and dropped the whole lot and then deleted the file. This will result in nothing more than a shortcut to the memory card of the camera containing the folder.

Have you checked your camera to see if the folder is still there?

If it is not there, then do a search on your harddrive to see if you can find any of the pictures as Ric suggests - but if you deleted the camera card and you only dragged and dropped on the desktop then it sounds like they are gone. :(

You can retreive them from the internet link you posted though, but they will be compressed versions of the originals.

I delete from the camera card as I load them on to the computer.

I dragged the folder out of the disc and back 'home' to the desktop where I imagined it would be safe - why isn't there any warning that something will be deleted?

There is much to be said for microsoft...this wouldn't have happened with with Windows - but then - I wouldn't have any content on my computer as it was trojaned big time when i used xp :mad: !

Ric

Reaction score
Have you tried doing a search for ".jpg" (using the little blue magnyifiying glass ) also known as spotlight...

This will then show you every .jpg on your Mac...use .psd if they are Photoshop Elements files etc

This will then bring up a big list... if you then command click (hold down the key with the Apple Sign on it and click) this will bring up a window...this is the "enclosing folder that contains that image...hopefully if you find one of the rogue files all the rest will be in there too...

Movie here...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
i did the jpg search - it brought up a list but not the 74 pics that I seem to have deleted.

I think my inability to even do a screen shot means that I should jump off the nearest cliff....which is so near it's scary!

Ric

Reaction score
Attached is a little Application...

Copy it into your Dock then click it once to get a screen grab... then a file called "pic-for-ric" will appear on your Desktop...then you can email that...

regards

Ric

Attachments

• Screen Capture.zip
    17.2 KB · Views: 232

Ric

Reaction score
Yes, I have an email with an attached screen grab !!!

(Is it the cleaners day off ;-))

Now you need to do that on the portforwarding admin screen thing...if you remember where we were earlier...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

maybe we can try this a different way...

Download the attached Application... OSXvnc

Then click the Connect to client button !

And add in my IP address, (into the host panel) (I will send you this when you let me know, you are going to try this !)

Then press the Start Server Button !

This will then connect to me without you having to configure anything on your side...

osxvnc.jpg

regards

Ric

Attachments

• OSXvnc.zip
    244.3 KB · Views: 255
Reaction score
Ric said:
Yes, I have an email with an attached screen grab !!!

(Is it the cleaners day off ;-))

Now you need to do that on the portforwarding admin screen thing...if you remember where we were earlier...

regards

Ric

i thought I had :rolleyes: when i clicked on the pic for ric thing - it showed a screen shot of advanced settings :confused:

hey are you being rude about my desk top - That was why I was trying to get some of the mess onto disc!

Ric

Reaction score
...do you want to try plan b above, I have 30 minutes left in me tonight !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
mrsp said:
I delete from the camera card as I load them on to the computer.

I dragged the folder out of the disc and back 'home' to the desktop where I imagined it would be safe - why isn't there any warning that something will be deleted?

There is much to be said for microsoft...this wouldn't have happened with with Windows - but then - I wouldn't have any content on my computer as it was trojaned big time when i used xp :mad: !

Hi mrsp,

I know on my Mac, the act of dragging and dropping from a memory card/disc does NOT delete anything, that is why you should check your camera card.

UI think that the only way those pictures could have been deleted from your camera is by you "physically" deleting them (right click and moving to trash) OR by you using "CUT" and "PASTE" (not copy and paste.)

As you dragged and dropped them, this *should* not delete them, so I am interested to know how do you deleted them from your camera? Are you sure they are still not on the disc/memory card?

Having said all that, I will connect my card reader and drag and drop the pics onto the desktop to see what happens (maybe it is configuration?) Also, iPhoto should have run and the pictures should be transfered to the iPhoto program.

Did iPhoto run? and have you checked to see if the photo's appear in the program under "last roll" or "library" ? I do hope the photo's are there on your hard drive :(

Reaction score
Ric said:
...do you want to try plan b above, I have 30 minutes left in me tonight !

regards

Ric

oops! I needed my bed as I have to try and get all the work not done yesterday done today....

Ask a Question