help - i've lost a file of photographs

Reaction score
I have just tried to put the last 3 months worth of photographs on to disc.

I dragged and dropped the whole file onto the disc icon on my desktop and then was told that I shouldn't have done that - and that I should drag and drop each picture individually.....so I dragged the file out and then :eek: opened it....and it said:

"The alias "pics to put on disc" could not be opened because the original item cannot be found"

Where has it gone? How did it get an alias and what is an alias!?

can someone help?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

how are you doing, have you got any further ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
LOL,

So where were the photo's originally on a camera and you were dragging them to your Mac?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
they were on a digital camera > iphoto > manipulated in photoshop elements > desktop > and tidied away into one of those little blue file thingys and sitting on my desktop.

Reaction score
i dragged the blue file icon to the 'untitled disc' icon on my desk top ..... then things went pearshaped when Mr P decided that I shouldn't have done that and told me to drag it out again...

He is in the doghouse!

Ric

Reaction score
Ok,

so they were originally on the camera, then you (at some point) had copied them to your Mac -->Imported them into iPhoto-->then manipulated in Phoshop Elements-->Then saved into a blue thingy (a Folder ?) onto the Desktop...then the blue thingy was dragged to the untitled disk...(was this a blank CD or the Camera disk ?)

I am correct in my assumptions ?

If I am, are the photos...

a) still on the Camera card ?

b) Still available in iPhoto ?

c) Have you been able to search for them on the Mac ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric said:
Ok,

so they were originally on the camera, then you (at some point) had copied them to your Mac -->Imported them into iPhoto-->then manipulated in Phoshop Elements-->Then saved into a blue thingy (a Folder ?) onto the Desktop...then the blue thingy was dragged to the untitled disk...(was this a blank CD or the Camera disk ?)

I am correct in my assumptions ?

If I am, are the photos...

a) still on the Camera card ?

b) Still available in iPhoto ?

c) Have you been able to search for them on the Mac ?

regards

Ric

i delete pics as i import :(

some are still on iphoto - but only as the original image - the work I put into making them a bit better than they were is all in the missing folder.

how do i search for them on the mac? I know they must be here somewhere - but why does it say that the original folder is gone :confused: I never deleted nuffin! Just dragged where I clearly should not have :(

I find macs most confusing.

Ric

Reaction score
Can you remind me of what version of OS X you are running ?

I find macs most confusing.

Don't worry !

some are still on iphoto - but only as the original image - the work I put into making them a bit better than they were is all in the missing folder.

Okay, at least we know that all is not lost.

Command + f in the finder should bring up a search box, or if you are using a newish version of OS X there is a little blue icon with a magnyfing glass in the top corner of your screen, click on theis and enter a filename that you want to find...

Something's are easier if you are shown how to do them, if you want I can connect to your Mac and 'show' you what to do.

You would need to change a couple of settings on your Mac, I do this professionally...

It's no problem either way.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I have done the search - it is not the right kind of document :-/

Ric

Reaction score
mrsp said:
ok - if you have the time? that would be most kind.

No problem, waiting for the garage to let me know when I can have my car back from servicing !

First, how does your Mac (physically) connect to the Internet ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more specific...

How does your Mac connect to the Internet...ie What type of Modem do you have ? Does your Mac connect Wirelessly or via USB or via an Ethernet cable to the modem ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...ok !

Can you do this, and use the password that I send you...

Without knowing the Make and Model etc of the Modem, this may be tricky !

Set up the prefs as above and let me know when done.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
maybe that's not what you mean - i have an os x version 10.4.6 ....maybe that's not what you mean either ...... are you regretting getting started on this Ric!?

Ric

Reaction score
LOL...

Been here done that, that many times ! Water off a duck's back.

I am currently doing my company Accounts so I may be male but I can Multitask (Don't tell Wifey, or I'll end up with double the jobs on my todo list !)

The address I just PM'd you I have one now for you exact model...so try this for the Port Forwarding bit. Port Forwarding

Once this is set up, you can then turn it off or on at will, so if you need "Remote Help" in the future you can just contact me, turn the switch on, give me a password, and we're off !

It's just this initial bit that can seem a little daunting...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
i'm in advanced set up (this is like home to me - it's where I have to go when the internet service fails!)

But i can't see any virtual server here.

Ask a Question