SOLVED Help Connecting New iMac To Old iMac

Reaction score
I just purchased a new iMac and attempting to connect to two older iMacs on the same network. The two older iMacs connect to each other just fine. (2009 and 2011 models)

But when I try to connect the new iMac (2023 model) the log in box shakes indicating the user or password is wrong. I know the password is correct as I use it when I connect to the two older iMacs. The new iMac is connected to the same router and WiFi.

Is it a case the new iMac can't connect to the old iMacs because they're outdated? Or is there some setting or permissions issue I'm not aware of?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I assume you have Sharing File Sharing enabled on all Macs. Do you have File Sharing > Options... > Share files and folders using SMB enabled?

C

Reaction score
Never assume! Thxs, that was the issue. I just "assumed" the new iMac already had File Sharing on by default. See what I did there?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
;)

Well played.

I don't believe macOS has file sharing enabled by default as a security precaution. Glad it's working for you.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question