Airport Express - Help connecting and creating

Reaction score
Hi - Firstly, many apologies if this has already been addressed in the forum but I'm just about to throw my Airport Express out the window :mad: through shear frustration.

As you've gathered, I need help setting the thing up to act as a base station for wireless access to the internet for my imac G5 and my windows XP laptop. The setup is via a Dlink DSL modem which I connect to Airport Express via ethernet cable. The G5 and laptop are both wireless.

I'm a layman so any advice in layman's language would be fantastic.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Is that the whole network...

Dlink-->>AirPort Express -- XP Laptop & iMac G5

...just asking first then I can draw a diagram...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hello! Today is my first day as a mac-help member. The reason I joined (and I'm sure this goes for almost all of us here) is the utter desperation I am feeling in trying to get my airport express to work. I have an internet connection (obviously), but airprot express is flashing amber and I am unable to print. I am also unable to connect my Windows XP Professional work computer as well. It recognizes the network I have set up through AX, however, it can't get an internet connection.

I have so far read the packaged documentation, reinstalled and reconfigured the software several times, and searched the internet for clues as to what I'm doing wrong. I'm thinking it is time to return this newly purchased item and purchase a wireless router through my internet provider...

Can anyone help with this frustrating dilemna?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

can you give us your network 'topology'...let us know all of your devices...and what connects to what...

This will help us to help you ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi! My set up is as follows...

D-Link modem is plugged into the phone jack (DSL) and power outlet. Ethernet cable from modem is plugged into Airport Express. Epson CX7800 printer is plugged into AX. iBook G4 was purchased in 2003 with Airport Extreme card - I am currently connected to my network via my wireless network.

I am also trying to add a Dell laptop running XP Professional (work computer) to my AX network, and will have to established VPN access on that in order to work on company projects.

When I first connected my AX, the lights were green. It's been the last 2 weeks or so that the lights have been flashing amber.

Does this make sense?

Reaction score
After dedicating 3 long hours to the info found at the above link, I finally found what I was looking for. After all was said and done, I was able to connect to the net, connect both iBook and Dell laptops, and finish off the day with a steady green light on my AX. Thanks for all your help!!

Reaction score
I share what looks like a common problem: 1st generation Airport base station and first-generation Airport Express to extend the network. Cable supplier changed name of the network to the base station. I can connect the computer to it when in range. But the current version of Airport Utility and the iOS Airport app do not recognize the old Airport Express, so I don't know how to reconfigure it to join the newly renamed network. Any advice?

Reaction score
But the current version of Airport Utility and the iOS Airport app do not recognize the old Airport Express

What version of AU are you using? as I believe V6.1 works exclusively with modern AirPort Express AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models. Also have you recently upgrade the firmware on your express?

Reaction score
What version of AU are you using? as I believe V6.1 works exclusively with modern AirPort Express AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models. Also have you recently upgrade the firmware on your express?

Well, yes, that's exactly the problem. Updated AU doesn't recognize unupdated Express. Can't revert AU, can't update Express. Now what?

Reaction score
Thanks for these useful pointers. Meanwhile, I tried another tack: loaded Airport Utility from the CD that accompanied the old Airport Express onto a PC, was able to address the Express but not to connect it with network. A second Express, purchased later, however, DID, show up on AU (version 5.6.1) on my Macbook, and I was able to update firmware on it and connect it to network. Alas, NOT able to use it for intended purpose, to EXTEND network, because, it appears, network is 802.11b/g not 802.11n. AU says network can't be extended. AU help says, to extend 802.11b/g go to Apple Support--but so far, I have been bewildered by search results there. Problem CANNOT be hardware, since this Airport Extreme and this very Airport Express DID make an extended network until recently. Can somebody guide me in words of one syllable about how to extend a ... b/g network? Thanks.

Reaction score
Yes problem you have is that the 802.11b/g AEBS does not support "extended network". This is a 802.11n feature.

With a 802.11b/g AEBS your only real option is WDS. Unfortunately each WDS link cuts your available wireless bandwidth in half.

Here is Apples step by step guide ( Apple Airport netwoks) re WDS look to pages 42 onwards.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Designing_AirPort_Networks_10.5-Windows.pdf

Ask a Question