Help a Newbie: Regarding G4 AGP 400mhz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time on this site, so excuse me if this has been asked before (I did attempt using your search facility!) Anyho:

I picked up a G4 400mhz AGP edition from a local fare recently (this is my first mac, even though I've just ordered a macbook from apple.com today!) Anyway, it arrived with no graphics card. Luckily they sold me a PCI ATI Rage 128mb from a nearby G3. I brought it home, and it worked just fine with the preinstalled OS9.

Now, I've been given by a friend a copy of OSX Jaguar - I took out the 128mb of ram that it came with and added 1gb of pc100 in 4x256 modules. Alright so far, I added a DVD Drive.

Now here's my problem. I know the mac works fine, but I have a feeling it boots up AGP as the primary graphics, so I think there's something wrong with the boot (I noticed once that it asked me to type mac-boot or something like that previously) but the problem is, I think that screen appears before the mac knows to switch to PCI graphics - i.e My Screen is blank.

Does anyone know exactly how i'd go about fixing this. Right now I have a mac sitting here that I know works, which I cant get working with my monitor! Here's the weird bits (being from a PC background I'm stumped!) Every now and again, the mac beeps on startup, i've attempted clearing the mobo memory using the little switch by the battery, which makes it have the clear boot up sound. When I try booting up with the OS X disk in, the first time I boot I got the OS X apple loading screen (it had to be booting from disk as i've replaced the 9gb scsi hdd with an empty 40gb IDE drive) but the screen again when blank - like it was switching back to AGP. Anyway, I'm stumped! HELP! hehe.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
For anyone who may care searching the topic in the future. It seems that indeed its to do with the fact that its AGP and i'm running a PCI graphics card. As it happens I have the old G3's mother (logic?) board which is PCI graphics, when I try and do exactly the same thing on that board it works just fine.

I'm going to attempt installing os x on the G3 and transferring the HDD to the G4. I'll let oyu know how i get on.

Ask a Question