SOLVED Having a problem with a 500 gig SSD

Reaction score
Hi,
having a problem with a 500gig SSD, external on a USB C cable, as a cache for Photoshop 24, on my M1 24" iMac.

often getting a "Disk not ejected properly " message. on startup. Though I never egected or disconnected it.

anyone have this sort of problem with a SSD.? is it dying.?

I have backed it all up and saved.

Time to bin it.?

Regards, Sandy

500gig disk ejecting.jpg

Reaction score
Hi,
having a problem with a 500gig SSD, external on a USB C cable, as a cache for Photoshop 24, on my M1 24" iMac.

often getting a "Disk not ejected properly " message. on startup. Though I never egected or disconnected it.

anyone have this sort of problem with a SSD.? is it dying.?

I have backed it all up and saved.

Time to bin it.?

Regards, Sandy

View attachment 5001
What type of SSD is it, SATA or NVMe, and what kind of enclosure (USB or Thunderbolt)?

Reaction score
What type of SSD is it, SATA or NVMe, and what kind of enclosure (USB or Thunderbolt)?
Hi Tony,

not even that technical that i understand that. BUT it finally died. I bought a 5TB Western Digital hard disk (normal small self powered hard disk) and before it dies, managed to get the files of it. I was using it as photoshop scratch disk, so not surprised that it did not last. regular hard drives as scratch disks are Sooooo slooooww. but guess I will have to live with this till the world invents better technology, that at least lasts longer. so it goes in the bin today (keeping the cable, which is a USB C to SATA) so i would tenativly say this case is "solved"

(Photoshop is the only thing i know...)

best wishes Tony and Lufbrarunner.

Reaction score
You have a silicon iMac, so undoubtedly you have Thunderbolt/USB-C ports. Have you considered getting an external Thunderbolt NVMe enclosure? Instead of a paltry ~200 megabytes/sec. hard drive speeds, I’m getting close to 2800 MBps on each of my two Thunderbolt NVMe drives, each a 4-TB Western Digital Black SN850X SSD. You can sure use extra storage space to free up room in your 500 GB internal drive.

Reaction score
Thank Tony.

I eves had to look up what they are..

I will see if I can get one and just use it as a photoshop scratch disk ONLY... no files stored on it.

regards, Sandy

Reaction score
Thank Tony.

I eves had to look up what they are..

I will see if I can get one and just use it as a photoshop scratch disk ONLY... no files stored on it.

regards, Sandy
I was thinking about your situation when I came across the app, More Disk Space. It’s available on the Apple App Store. I’m careful about adding third-party apps, especially i“in app purchase” ones. This one for purchase up front, and definitely not subscription. The reviews are also encouraging. I will be purchasing this later today. For the price, I think it will be worth it.

Ask a Question