have to reboot and/or restart often

Reaction score
I have Mac Book Pro that I purchased in September. It works great, except that if I leave it on overnight, it won't open any windows the next morning and must be restarted. Additionally, it often gets "hung up" when I'm in a page, and then I must reload the page. Although these are not terribly annoying issues, I've heard that for a Mac, this is not normal. Does anyone have any advice for how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model MBP? 13" or 15"?
-Which version of OS X? El Capitan 10.11.1?
-What apps are running overnight?
-Are the fans running at full speed in the morning?
-Do you have Adobe Flash installed?
-Do you have any anti-virus or third-party apps like MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, or any cloud-based backups installed?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,
It's a 13 inch MBP. I have not downloaded El Capitan, but I'm new to Macs, and I don't know what this OS is. I don't think any apps are running overnight, and no, the I've never even heard the fan. Yes, Adobe flash is installed, and I just used the the Time Machine for the first time today.

This machine has been behaving like this since the first day I got it. It's like it goes to sleep if it sits too long, and then it can't wake up. That's when I restart it. However, there are times when, after sitting idle for a while, it will wake up and work up to a point, but then it will get hung-up and won't finish opening a page. Sometimes I can reload the page and everything gets going again.

Reaction score
To find out what Mac OS X version you are running:

1. In the Finder, go to the upper left hand corner, and you'll see a black Apple symbol. Click on that, and on the subsequent "menu" screen, the top choice will say "About This Mac". Click on that.

2. On the next screen, it will say the name of the OS, and the exact version number. For example, on both of my machines, it says:

OS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.1

3. Below that, it also shows some helpful detailed information about your Mac.

Is your MBP brand new, or was it used? If it was used, it would be very helpful if you provided the exact model. That information will be on the screen I mentioned above. For example, mine says "Mac mini (Late 2012)".

Reaction score
OS X Yosimite

I purchased this machine new. It was manufactured in early 2015.

Ask a Question