Hanging on startup

Reaction score
I bought a used MacBook a couple of months ago (without it's original disks)... and also bought and installed Snow Leopard on it. Since then, I've had it hang on the Apple screen during startup on two occasions.

The first time, about a month ago, I was able to boot it from the SL disk and run disk utility. It showed permission and disk issues, but repaired both and things ran well, until today... when it hung on the apple screen again. Once again I was able to boot from the SL disk and run disk utility. This time it only showed permission issues. Which it fixed and then I was able to boot as normal.

I want to run a hard-drive test, but I don't have the original disks that came with the computer. Am I out of luck? Any other ideas as to what might be going on?

Here's my specs...
OSX 10.6.8
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.13f3

Thanks,
A

Reaction score
There is nothing more on the Disks that came with the Mac. You have Disk Utility on the boot disk, I think you need to go to the First Aid tab.

It sounds like the drive is failing, I'd ensure you have a backup and get it replaced ASAP.

Ask a Question