Garbled Text/Symbols on random websites - Chrome

Reaction score
I use Mac OS X 10.5.8 and run Firefox and Chrome. Firefox has stopped working altogether, and crashes about 20 seconds after I open it every time. Chrome is working pretty well but occasionally it will either come up with a blue page saying that something went wrong, or display a page like the one attached. I'm not sure why this is; all my other programs are running normally. Does anybody have an idea what could be causing this?

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 693
Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem - also Mac OSX 10.5.8, though Firefox is working fine for me. Chrome is giving me random strings of characters on a lot of pages, and otherwise giving me the "oops!" page a lot.

Alternate encoding options didn't fix it. Anyone know what the problem is?

Reaction score
I use Mac OS X 10.5.8 and run Firefox and Chrome. Firefox has stopped working altogether, and crashes about 20 seconds after I open it every time. Chrome is working pretty well but occasionally it will either come up with a blue page saying that something went wrong, or display a page like the one attached. I'm not sure why this is; all my other programs are running normally. Does anybody have an idea what could be causing this?

this exact thing is happening to me as well. firefox crashes after 30 seconds and chrome gives me garbled text and lots of "aw snap" error pages. i even first noticed the garbled text on nytimes.com as well. I use Mac OS X 10.5.8. Any updates on how this might be fixed

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem - also Mac OSX 10.5.8, though Firefox is working fine for me. Chrome is giving me random strings of characters on a lot of pages, and otherwise giving me the "oops!" page a lot.

Alternate encoding options didn't fix it. Anyone know what the problem is?

Well c*#p. This is exactly what's happened to me - and the text pictured is exactly how it looks. I don't know anything about a font manager and the only thing I've installed recently is a K9 Web Filter. The problems arose shortly thereafter.

Any updates on a solution?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

This was a pretty widespread issue with folks running Chrome and Mac OS X 10.5.8. Not sure of they ever fixed it. Have you tried Safari - does it the issue persist?

Interesting that it seems to have started after installing the K9 Web Filter. Can you disable it totally and see if the issue persists?

C

Ask a Question