Home and End button context

Reaction score
I'm using a non-Mac gaming keyboard with the normal Home/End buttons but am finding Mac OS seems not to be consistent with what they do based on whether I'm in a "text" context or a "page" context... whereas sometimes they will put the cursor at the beginning/end of a line or file/page but sometimes will shift the file/page view to the beginning or the end, even while in text context, depending on the app/program.

So the result is either Mac OS misunderstanding the context, or the app misinforming the OS of the context. I don't have this contextual problem in Windows or Linux programs.

Has anyone figured out how to make this consistent?

Just to be clear, I'd like the Home/End buttons to:
  • In text context, move the cursor to the beginning/end of the line.
  • In file/page context, move the view to the beginning/end of the file/page.
*Text context means the cursor is visible and focused, where typing will add letters to the screen.

Reaction score
What exact model non-Mac gaming keyboard are you using?

It doesn't matter and I'm sorry I mentioned it. It's a Windows/Linux-style keyboard that isn't specially configured other than to be as much like a Windows keyboard that I can get it. Every one I've tried for the Mac behaves the same way; the problem isn't the keyboard.

Can someone familiar with Mac and Windows/Linux keyboard configuration address my original point from the perspective of a generic keyboard (non-Apple)?

Reaction score
I was just trying to be helpful, but it seems like you are resisting that. So, I'll try another approach, and see if you are receptive to it.

What exact Mac model do you have? And what exact Mac OS are you running? Typically keyboards can be configured, via the Keyboard Preference Pane. This link should be helpful:

https://computers.tutsplus.com/tuto...y-keyboards-and-mice-with-your-mac--mac-44602

Not resisting, just admitting I made the mistake of saying it was a gaming keyboard (being overly-specific) when it works just like a generic one meant for Windows, thereby causing an unnecessary tangent to be branched.

The exact Mac etc doesn't matter, any non-Mac keyboard I've tried on any Mac has behaved the same way in relation to the Home/End buttons, so I'm wondering if maybe you're not familiar with Home/End page/text context inconsistency I'm talking about across different apps/programs/interfaces on Mac.

The issue isn't the kind of keyboard or version of Mac or software etc... it's the way Apple has encoded Home/End into the OS and how apps hook into that; I've switched to a Mac keyboard (for other reasons) and still have the same issue as I described in my original post. I have the latest Mac OS software. None of what you're asking about or saying has been relevant yet.

If someone knows how to configure Mac to fix consistency with Home/End page/text context across the software, I'd love to see it. Otherwise I'll assume it's not possible or nobody here knows how to fix it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have tested out the Home and End button functions you mentioned in several apps on my Macs, and they only really work in Microsoft Word. The Home/End buttons toggle between the beginning and end of a paragraph, but holding the Command key changes it to the beginning/end of the entire document. Home/End scroll to top/bottom of websites as well. Page Up/Page Down scroll approximately the amount visible in a window at a time. It doesn't seem that there is a way to get the same functionality as you do in Windows/Linux, or at least that I am aware of.

Please be a little more courteous in your responses: "It doesn't matter and I'm sorry I mentioned it." "None of what you're asking about or saying has been relevant yet." honestone was just trying to gather additional information to understand your issue, and provide any helpful suggestions and links to information for you to try.

Thanks in advance, and we'll see if we can come up with any additional suggestions/resources.

C

Reaction score
Thank you, Cory. I could not have said it better! It seems like some folks come here being impatient, and expecting a "one button" solution. But we have seen this before.

As for the Home and End buttons, I have an Apple keyboard that I use with my late 2012 Mac Mini, and they function as expected with the applications (ITunes, Quicken, Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel, Google Chrome, etc.) I have used them with (same with Page Up/Page Down).

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have tested out the Home and End button functions you mentioned in several apps on my Macs, and they only really work in Microsoft Word. The Home/End buttons toggle between the beginning and end of a paragraph, but holding the Command key changes it to the beginning/end of the entire document. Home/End scroll to top/bottom of websites as well. Page Up/Page Down scroll approximately the amount visible in a window at a time. It doesn't seem that there is a way to get the same functionality as you do in Windows/Linux, or at least that I am aware of.

Please be a little more courteous in your responses: "It doesn't matter and I'm sorry I mentioned it." "None of what you're asking about or saying has been relevant yet." honestone was just trying to gather additional information to understand your issue, and provide any helpful suggestions and links to information for you to try.

Thanks in advance, and we'll see if we can come up with any additional suggestions/resources.

C

Thanks for the great info Cory.

I said "It doesn't matter and I'm sorry I mentioned it." because that's the literal truth; it's not a courteous nor incourteous statement.

Sorry for saying what he said was irrelevant, but his 2nd reply was rude - and irrelevant.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Thanks for the explanation. We are just very proactive here, making sure things don't escalate. We maintain a very friendly, helpful environment, and strive to help everyone with that in mind.

Thanks for your understanding going forward, and let us know if you have additional questions with regards to this, or any other issues.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info Cory.

I said "It doesn't matter and I'm sorry I mentioned it." because that's the literal truth; it's not a courteous nor incourteous statement.

Sorry for saying what he said was irrelevant, but his 2nd reply was rude - and irrelevant.

My second reply was relevant, as knowing what Mac OS you are using can make a difference. Also, your first reply to me was rude, classless, and definitely not necessary. As Cory so correctly stated, we are only trying to help. But your initial reply to me, "It doesn't matter and I'm sorry I mentioned it", was bad enough (and came across as rude), but the other one, "Can someone familiar with Mac and Windows/Linux keyboard configuration address my original point from the perspective of a generic keyboard (non-Apple)?", was even worse. I am familiar with keyboards, modifier keys, etc.

Also, in my second reply, I stated "I was just trying to be helpful, but it seems like you are resisting that", That was (and seems to be still is) valid. Note that I did provide a helpful link in that second post also. But obviously you are not appreciative of such assistance.

Finally, my track record for helping folks out is stellar. At least 5 users have shared very positive comments with me about my assistance. And I have a significant number of "likes" (199). So, I must be doing something right.

Last edited:

Ask a Question