Garage Band system overload

Reaction score
I have been recording with Garage Band for about 3 years. In the last few weeks it has been getting more and more unreliable to the point it is nearly unusable (just as I am about to finish an album.) It used to happen only when recording but now i can't even get through a playback or a bounce without a glitch. I have MacBook Pro 13" running Big Sur 8GB memory 170Gig of 500Gig free space. GB version 10.4.3
The messages are
"System Overload. The audio engine was not able to process all required data in time"
or
"Error while trying to synchronize audio and MIDI. Sample rate 42796 recognized. Check conflict between Garage Band and external device."
I regularly lock tracks, disable wifi, and close out of all other programs. I have uninstalled and reinstalled GB.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model MacBook Pro?
-What is the brand/model of the MIDI device?
-What other audio devices are connected?
-How many tracks and how many samples/plug-ins?
-Does it only happen on this song?

42796 is a strange sample rate, as the standard is 44100.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model MacBook Pro?
-What is the brand/model of the MIDI device?
-What other audio devices are connected?
-How many tracks and how many samples/plug-ins?
-Does it only happen on this song?

42796 is a strange sample rate, as the standard is 44100.

C

Thanks for reply.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13", Early 2015
Processor 2.9 Ghz dual core Intel core is
It happens on multiple songs, and they all played well within the past month. The one I am playing now has 24 tracks- 6 are midi drum, 3 keyboard,(GB sounds played on keyboard controller) the rest vocal, bass, and guitars. Plug-ins are internal GB, except for Klanghelm IVGI2.
I use Focusrite Scarlet 212 i/o device. When it is not connected and I listen thru headphones plugged into the Mac, the problem is lessened but I still hear momentary glitches in playback, tho the error messages and full stop of playback doesn't seem to happen. After mixing, some MP3s also have issues.

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

I haven't used MIDI in GarageBand myself, so I don't have a lot of experience/knowledge of troubleshooting that. I have seen similar issues in GarageBand, Logic Pro, and Pro Tools over the years. Normally, it is related to the amount of free space, RAM, or number of tracks/samples/plug-ins. It is curious that it only started happening. If this were a Windows machine, it could be a drive issue, but Focusrite devices are class compliant and do not require software drivers.

-Which generation is the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 (nice interface!) There may be some Focusrite Control software or firmware updates for 3rd Gen versions.
-Have you verified the sample rate in Audio MIDI setup?
-Still confused about the 42796 sampling rate...as it is not a standard one.
-Have you tried disabling some of the plug-ins/effects temporarily?
-Have you restarted the Mac?
-Do you have any third-party utilities running like MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, antivirus?
-Have you installed any new software recently that may have contributed to the issue?

C

Reaction score
Wow, a lot of your questions go over my Grey old cranky head.
Generation of Focusrite: no idea. Bought used at pawn shop, plugged it in and started tracking.
Verifying sample rate: ummm...say what??
42796 sampling rate: last time it shut down, that number was different but still unusual.
Disabling, yes. Seems to make a difference but not solve it. Problems Re sporadic and unpredictable.
Had Mac cleaner. Guy at service center Uninstaller, thought it would fix things. Yet another unrealized dream.
And restarted often throughout the process.
Playback much cleaner (tho not perfect) thru cans not plugged into Focusrite. Wonder if it needs replacing...

Reaction score
Just possibly, maybe, could be perhaps, there might be a musical solution..

I had a pretty elaborate 4 track (on cassette) studio in an extra bedroom back in the nineties. I was very in to overdubbing, layering of tracks etc, deep in to the "one man band" experience.

While this was a lot of nerd fun, all the different tracks tended to crowd out each other in the sonic spectrum. You know, if you layer on six guitars that's all midrange information, and you tend to wind up with sonic mud, more of an electrical storm than music. :)

I learned over time that often less is more. As example, I was recently listening to one of my favorite jazz singers Emilie Barlow. She covered an old Bob Dylan song, and it was just her voice and a standup bass, nothing more. Every sound had it's own sonic space, so you could hear everything crystal clearly. Of course this leaves less hiding place for mediocre players. But maybe that's how it should be, so they'll rise to the challenge and become better players?

This "less is more" philosophy is not everyone's cup of tea obviously, and I'm making no artistic judgements here. To each their own of course.

Just saying, within the "less is more" style one may not even need a computer. A couple of folks playing live straight in to an old 2 track reel to reel. Many of the greatest pop songs of all time were recorded like this.

I was watching an interview with the recently departed Greg Allman a couple of months ago. He said his methodology was often to see if he could get a song to work with just his voice and an acoustic guitar. If that didn't sound awesome he figured he didn't really have a good enough song, so he wouldn't bother to further arrange it.

And then, I did something, um, kinda stupid. I bought my first Mac to be part of my music studio. Then I heard about this gadget called a modem. Then I discovered a local BBS, and then the Internet. And I haven't played much music ever since. I play a computer keyboard now. I dunno, maybe not the best choice I could have made.

Reaction score
Less is more is my favorite thing for listening. Unfortunately I was a "slightly better than mediocre" player back when I was doing it for a living. Now that I'm a truck driver who writes songs and can't afford to pay studio guys so I do it all myself, I dream of achieving mediocre status. But I still need to get some demos made

Reaction score
Yea, ok I guess, but I'm still mad at you for stealing what should have been my screen name. :)

Ask a Question