I can’t hear a piano lesson in Garage Band

Reaction score
I’ve had Garage Band for years, but hadn’t opened it until the other day. My computer had 2 versions, ’09 and another version - but I “about GarageBand” is grayed out so I can’t see what version this is.

The first time I opened it, I found a piano lesson and started playing it. I messed things up and cannot get the “Intro to Piano” video to play out loud now. Other Piano lessons play out loud. I am an older adult learning piano.

Options Garage Band sees are: "System Default", "Built-in Output", "ACE Sound Effects", and "Multi-Output Device”.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The defaults for Audio/MIDI > Audio Output/Audio Input in GarageBand are System Default.

-Which version of OS X again?
-Greyed out GB - Get Info doesn't show the version? Or, in Finder List view, Command-J and check Version. It should then display the version in a column in List View.
-Do you get sound from other apps?
-Do you have speakers, headphones, or a USB audio device connected?

c

Reaction score
High Sierra 10.13.4. I deleted the old version, my current version is GarageBand 10.2.0. I get sound from other apps, and I get sound from other lessons in Garage Band. It is only "Intro to Piano" which is quiet. I go through all of my settings and am not finding what is different in that lesson and the subsequent lesson.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That is strange, since audio works for everything else, including other lessons. Do you happen to have a Time Machine or other backup?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You could try restoring that lesson file from Apple. It is located in Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > GarageBand > Learn to Play > Basic Lessons > Piano Lesson 1.mwand. If you delete that file while GarageBand is not running, when you launch GarageBand, it will re-download it from their servers. Maybe that will restore the audio.

c

Reaction score
Thanks. I renamed that file then ran Garage Band. That lesson moved down to the bottom of the list, but it ran fine. Then I deleted the renamed file, seeing that there was a new file with the original file's name.

Ask a Question