formattign a Mac

Reaction score
So Im selling My imac and I have to format it before I do, I erased everything Then when I went to put the disc in it says cannot install software on this system , And its the disc that came with my computer anyone know what the problem may be?
THanks in advance

Reaction score
So Im selling My imac and I have to format it before I do, I erased everything Then when I went to put the disc in it says cannot install software on this system , And its the disc that came with my computer anyone know what the problem may be?
THanks in advance

When you booted from the installation disc, did you select your hard drive and click the Option's button and select "Erase and Install"?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Just check that the HD is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If you erased the drive completely then you may need to format it again before an OS can be installed.

You can use Disc Utility on the install disc to check this.

Reaction score
Yeah it says mac os extended (jorunaled) It happened before I erased everything too, It will goto the screen after it says pick a language and then before I can click continue it will pop up "alert this software cannot be installed on this computer"

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Where did you get the iMac from? Was it brand new? I suspect the disc may be the wrong type. This can happen when a Mac is purchased 2nd hand and the wrong install media is bundled with it.

Ask a Question