Finder Problem

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I recently re-installed 10.3.9 on my G4 Powerbook after a near meltdown about a month ago. Everything is working nicely--such as the dock, except that "Macintosh HD" doesn't show up on my desktop and "Finder" is not starting. It's just the default blue background and nothing else (not even the finder menu bar). The dock runs fine so I can open programs like Firefox, but I can't see anything that was on my desktop prior to this re-install--I had to run 10.2.8 for a while until I could get home to my copy of 10.3. (I know nothing was lost because all of the files I had in my Trash are still there, my iTunes library is still in tact, and all my Firefox bookmarks are still working).

I'm still running "Software Update" and maybe that will fix the problem, but it's something that is a bit bothersome right now. Any insight?

Reaction score
This might shed some light on the situation. While surfing around on the internet for this problem, several sites suggest deleting the Finder preferences file (com.apple.finder.plist), however, when looking for that file, it appears to be missing. Might this have something to do with my situation?

Reaction score
Hello there.

the com.apple.finder.plist file should be under Users/Library/Preferences. I am not sure what is causing your particular problem at the moment. But that file should regenerate itself after a simple restart (in my pervious cases that is).

Searay

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Well, I tried a bit of troubleshooting before falling back to a complete re-install of 10.3.4 (which upgraded itself to 10.3.9). Reinstalling seems to have fixed the problem, however I'm not 100% pleased that its working fine. One time it took longer to boot up than usual (the computer started up and I logged in, but Finder got hung up loading). I'm thinking it may have gotten caught up in a somewhat unreliable internet connection I've had the past few days (the wind keeps knocking our internet out). Once the wind settles down a bit, or I can get to an otherwise more stable internet connection I can tell if that is the problem.

For the time being, however, it seems to have been rectified.

Ask a Question